Selling steel line and buying TRE synthetic line?

Ejforan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi all, I have decided to buy the m8000 winch but have a few questions for my plan. My plan is to switch to TRE synthetic and safety thimble to prevent sagging the stock suspension and save money. Is there any reason not to do this and is it worth selling the steel line to make back some of the money?

You won’t make much at all off the steel line, I assure you. I did this same thing and could barely give away my steel line.

Reactions: Irun
You won’t make much at all off the steel line, I assure you. I did this same thing and could barely give away my steel line.
Good to know. I have a friend who does a lot of landscaping work with his winch so he may want a spare line if I sell it to him for cheap.

Good to know. I have a friend who does a lot of landscaping work with his winch so he may want a spare line if I sell it to him for cheap.
That’s not a bad idea. I think most of the smart people have switched to synthetic, at least as far as off-roading is concerned.

Is the steel cable in good shape?
The line will be brand new off of an m8000. I want synthetic line for my winch but the m8000s is out of my budget but TRE is right at the sweet spot for getting a thimble hause for cheaper than just the synthetic warn.

That’s not a bad idea. I think most of the smart people have switched to synthetic, at least as far as off-roading is concerned.
He still uses his winch for offroading with our group as well but he also moves around a ton of trees and rocks at work.

Reactions: JMT
Lastly, in regards to TRE, how do they compare against warns synthetic line? I have only seen the brand recommended on this forum and can’t seem to find any videos or anything of the sort on them.

I did the same thing as you and I sold the never used M8000 cable with the Warn hook on the end for $75 on Facebook Marketplace. It took a couple weeks to sell but all I had was time.

Reactions: D M and JMT
I'm in the process of doing the sameish thing only I picked up an M8000S fairly cheap but still going to swap to TRE kit
My question is, TRE recomends 100' of 3/8 rope, should I go with 100' or 85'?

I'm in the process of doing the sameish thing only I picked up an M8000S fairly cheap but still going to swap to TRE kit
My question is, TRE recomends 100' of 3/8 rope, should I go with 100' or 85'?
From everything I have read 85’ feet is the right length for 3/8 rope. I do not have any experience with it if someone who has could confirm.

Reactions: JMT
From everything I have read 85’ feet is the right length for 3/8 rope. I do not have any experience with it if someone who has could confirm.
I did 85’ and it just barely fit in my 9.5ti, I don’t think the additional 15’ would.

85' of 3/8 at the most. TRE rope is very high quality, go for it. I installed TRE 3/8 safety color with a Safety Thimble and loved it.

Almost forgot that I received $40-50 for the new 5/16" wire rope I removed from my previous Warn HS-9500i winch. I put an ad for it on Craigslist, the buyer came to my house.

Reactions: Zorba and rasband
That's what I was thinking, my 8000S has 100' of 3/8 and it looks crammed full of nylon, 85' would probably make for a cleaner set up

are you saying it cost less to buy a Warn M8000 and add a new rope to the M8000 vs buying a M8000S ?

85’ of 3/8” synthetic on most winches.

TRE makes great line. I wouldn’t hesitate. Wait, I didn’t hesitate. That’s what I run.

Awesome that settles it then. M8000 will be ordered in a few days and I will be ordering the TRE rope and safety thimble as well. There was one comment on a post that mentioned a TRE discount code for forum members, is that still a thing?