Serpentine belt tensioner

GeorgeSully

TJ Enthusiast
So I removed an idler pulley in order to get the belt off and replace the alternator but I can figure out how to get it back on. Any tips or ideas because I’ve just been trying to muscle it back on.
98 Sahara 4.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll find its adjustment screw on the power steering pump mounting bracket. It's the extra-long vertical screw that is something like 3-4" long IIRC from my '97 TJ. When retightening the belt, adjust it so you can barely deflect the belt maybe 1/2" with your thumb midpoint at its longest unsupported length.

You'll find its adjustment screw on the power steering pump mounting bracket. It's the extra-long vertical screw that is something like 3-4" long IIRC from my '97 TJ. When retightening the belt, adjust it so you can barely deflect the belt maybe 1/2" with your thumb midpoint at its longest unsupported length.

I believe I’ve found the adjustment screw and it looks to go through where the idler pulley bolts into but when I loosen it just backs out and doesn’t move the pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe I’ve found the adjustment screw and it looks to go through where the idler pulley bolts into but when I loosen it just backs out and doesn’t move the pulley.
The pulley slides up/down in a slot, it probably just needs a shot or two of a decent lubricant on the adjuster screw and where the pulley slides against the bracket. My recommendation for a decent lubricant does not include WD-40.

Last edited:
I have a spring loaded tensioner located next to the alternator. Put a 3/8 ratchet in the square hole in the tensioner arm and I get plenty of slack to easily replace the belt. Just did mine a week or two ago.

I have a spring loaded tensioner located next to the alternator. Put a 3/8 ratchet in the square hole in the tensioner arm and I get plenty of slack to easily replace the belt. Just did mine a week or two ago.
So there's no confusion, that's not what earlier model TJs like his '98 use.

Reactions: Blondie70
So there's no confusion, that's not what earlier model TJs like his '98 use.

Thanks Jerry. That kind of clarification is super helpful for owners of 97 models like me. ;-)

If I’m not mistaken, this top-right wheel is for my power steering. But I don’t see the tensioner screw. I’m probably staring right at it?

image.jpg

its kind of down below the power steering pump. you have to loosen the bolt on the front of the tensioner pulley. then fish a long extension down to the long threaded bolt to loosen or tighten the belt. look down between the power steering pump and the exhaust manifold in the picture toward the harmonic balancer. it's buried down in there i had a hell of a time figuring it out my 1st time....

Reactions: Blondie70 and SSTJ
Thanks Jerry. That kind of clarification is super helpful for owners of 97 models like me. ;-)

If I’m not mistaken, this top-right wheel is for my power steering. But I don’t see the tensioner screw. I’m probably staring right at it?

View attachment 279519
Loosen the idler pulley bolt slightly then adjust the tension with the adjusting bolt. The belt should be very tight, tight enough that you can barely deflect the belt down 1/2" with considerable thumb-pressure at the mid-point of its longest unsupported length.

Capture.JPG

Reactions: tr21triton and SSTJ
jerry your knowledge amazes me. you must have a full brain/hard drive with all the knowledge and diagrams in your head ! 👍👍👍

Reactions: SSTJ