Severe Grinding at low speeds

christianlandis13

I have an '06 TJ 4.0 MT. Recently when moving my car around town at low speeds, i noticed a pretty significant clicking/grinding noise when letting the clutch out and turning. I havent taken it out on the road for fear of something blowing up completely.

My initial thought was that the rear diff is going bad since it happened when i was turning, but not sure if i should rule out clutch/transmission or Xfer case issues.

Drive shaft U joints are good. Jacked it up and ran thru to 4th gear with no load and didnt notice any significant issues. Other thoughts are bad motor or transmission mounts causing some sort of misalignment. It'll drive down the road in a straight line at low speeds, and it really only seems to have an issue under some sort of load as opposed to coasting. Turning seems to make it worse but did notice some noise while going straight.

I am nervous to continue drving it around for fear of something more catastrophic happening. My next thought was removing the rear driveshaft and seeing how it drove around in 4WD.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have an '06 TJ 4.0 MT. Recently when moving my car around town at low speeds, i noticed a pretty significant clicking/grinding noise when letting the clutch out and turning. I havent taken it out on the road for fear of something blowing up completely.

My initial thought was that the rear diff is going bad since it happened when i was turning, but not sure if i should rule out clutch/transmission or Xfer case issues.

Drive shaft U joints are good. Jacked it up and ran thru to 4th gear with no load and didnt notice any significant issues. Other thoughts are bad motor or transmission mounts causing some sort of misalignment. It'll drive down the road in a straight line at low speeds, and it really only seems to have an issue under some sort of load as opposed to coasting. Turning seems to make it worse but did notice some noise while going straight.

I am nervous to continue drving it around for fear of something more catastrophic happening. My next thought was removing the rear driveshaft and seeing how it drove around in 4WD.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
If you can isolate it to the rear axle, put it on stands run it in gear and stop one tire to see if it makes noise. If the noise is coming from the rear axle pop the cover off and inspect the spider gears.

So it doesn't happen when coasting through a turn (foot on clutch)?