Share Your Bonehead Moves

My wife tried to fix squeaking brakes on her bicycle with WD40…
My father, with teenaged me "assisting", thought it would be a good idea to clean the inside of the brake drums on his fifth wheel trailer with gasoline. The gas, of course, flashed off - so no fire, but it was a number of miles before the brakes worked correctly again...

When I drove my first TJ (Brother lent it to me for a few months) I decided to check the oil before I took off in it but couldn't find the hood pull :( lol
just as i tell myself that i have read it all when it comes to oil, i will not involve myself into endless pit of stupidity that comes with oil related discussions ever again... You, once again, manage to surprise me with your oil related shenanigans.

I added LED lights to my wife's JK for backup lights. I identified the wire I needed to connect to, right then my wife decided she had to go somewhere right now!! So I re installed the tail light assy so she could leave. When she returned I resumed the installation, but in my haste I tied into the brake light, not the backup light!! I didn't eve realize it until I backed into the garage that night, woops! Right then I understood why all of the cars behind me that night either kept a larger distance between us or was in a huge hurry to get around me. It was kind of nice not having anybody ride my ass all the way down the mountain!

I added LED lights to my wife's JK for backup lights. I identified the wire I needed to connect to, right then my wife decided she had to go somewhere right now!! So I re installed the tail light assy so she could leave. When she returned I resumed the installation, but in my haste I tied into the brake light, not the backup light!! I didn't eve realize it until I backed into the garage that night, woops! Right then I understood why all of the cars behind me that night either kept a larger distance between us or was in a huge hurry to get around me. It was kind of nice not having anybody ride my ass all the way down the mountain!

Damn rookies!!
I am glad I haven’t done any of these things. 😂

/sarcasm

edited to point out sarcasm, apparently it isn’t popular here.

Last edited:
You guys are a bunch of rookies at messing up. Hold my beer.

I was changing oil on a corolla (fwd) and I drained the fill for life transmission oil instead of the engine oil. Thought, strange to see red engine oil. Then proceeded to add 4 quarts to the full engine oil so I had a fill mark 2" above the full line on dipstick. Dipstick is the word that comes to mind after that. 😖

You guys are a bunch of rookies at messing up. Hold my beer.

I was changing oil on a corolla (fwd) and I drained the fill for life transmission oil instead of the engine oil. Thought, strange to see red engine oil. Then proceeded to add 4 quarts to the full engine oil so I had a fill mark 2" above the full line on dipstick. Dipstick is the word that comes to mind after that. 😖
At least you caught it!

Reactions: B00mb00m
My old 58 CJ5 had a hard time starting when it rained out (I live north of Seattle, so all the time) so when i was lazy I would spray some starting fluid in the carb. One day it backfired and caught the intake hose on fire and I was running around like an idiot with a small container of water to put it out because my hose didn't reach. After that I fixed the choke.

when I swapped out my rear axle I was taking the drum brakes off my old axle to put them on my new one and I took the WHOLE brake apart (springs, cables, etc) when I went to take the other one off I realized that it was like literally 4 bolts to take the whole thing out without taking it apart, I took a few days to get the old one back together

Biggest bonehead move I made was selling my first TJ. I had a YJ before it. I didn't think selling the YJ was a bad move. It was a 4cyl and needed more work than I could provide at the time. The TJ I bought new and did all the mods myself and ended up selling it at probably the worst time for the worst reasons. But now I have two Jeeps and will probably add another pretty soon. Just kind of wish I still had that TJ. Live and learn.

• Face Palm
Reactions: hear and B00mb00m
My old 58 CJ5 had a hard time starting when it rained out (I live north of Seattle, so all the time) so when i was lazy I would spray some starting fluid in the carb. One day it backfired and caught the intake hose on fire and I was running around like an idiot with a small container of water to put it out because my hose didn't reach. After that I fixed the choke.

what engine did you have in it? I had a ‘63 CJ-5 withe 134ci flathead 4 cyl in it. I could let it sit for a week in the middle of winter covered in snow and it would start right away first try. I miss that Jeep.

My recent favorite involves lynch pins. First bonehead move, I disconnected my sway bar and left both pins on the front bumper. The second bonehead move was driving around for hours until I found a place that had the correct pins and only buying one set of replacements. The third bonehead move was leaving them on the front bumper the very next time I disconnected the sway bar.

Oof, that list is probably a mile long for me.

The one I feel worst about is forgetting my wife's sister is staying at the house, jumping in the GC and backing right into her 2 week old Honda. Didn't do fuck all to the Jeep but the tailpipe left a nice frowny-face in her bumper. 😳
Been there

The GF’s schedule changed one day and I opened up the garage door to back out, looked right over her car and backed up. Crunch.

Messed up her front bumper cover and fender, Jeep was fine.

Bought the replacement parts but George Floyd totaled the car before I could install them.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: hear and Farmergreg