She's in the paint shop

Irishguy

TJ Enthusiast
My new to me 1997 TJ need some TLC on the fenders and cowl. The clear coat was peeling off. I took it to a couple of insurance type paint shops and both gave me a quote to paint the two fenders and the cowl and both places were about the same at $800 and "It probably won't match." I know supplies are expensive and people have to make a living, but I found that hard to swallow.

I found a shop closer to the cabin that was a father and son place and looked like they did a lot of local non-insurance type work. They gave me a price of $400 to do the front fenders, hood and cowl. I asked them how much extra to throw in two half doors that were yellow. $100 extra they said, so then I got to thinking... "How much just to paint the whole Jeep if I take everything off?" $800 they said, so I took them up on it. Fingers crossed. Let's say I am hopefully optimistic.

Pics of where I stripped the Jeep...

50084160466_56e53612d4_h.jpg

50084397132_44de728485_h.jpg

Pics from the shop...

50087955862_b3fa6fc590_b.jpg

50087142408_cc0e5b6250_b.jpg

50087955747_f6b8e87459_b.jpg

Hell yeah, looks awesome! Or they might be doing it all wrong, I have no idea. Painting & bodywork is one thing I never learned that I wished I had. Are you sticking with the same color?

For that price, I'd be lucky to get the hood painted in my parts. heck of a deal if it turns out nice. I worked in auto body collision many moons ago, and it takes more than you think to get a nice finish.

I’d love to see the final results. My Jeep needs some painting, and for that price I’d consider not doing it myself. Not too far from me in Atlanta.

Hell yeah, looks awesome! Or they might be doing it all wrong, I have no idea. Painting & bodywork is one thing I never learned that I wished I had. Are you sticking with the same color?

The stock color is Emerald Blue Pearl (I think that's what Chrysler called it.) At first I didn't like it too much, but it's kind of grown on me. Sometimes it looks blue and sometimes it looks green. I like greens and blues, so I'm sticking with it. I never been a fan of changing the color of vehicles. It's just never turns out right unless you completely strip the thing inside and out.

For that price, I'd be lucky to get the hood painted in my parts. heck of a deal if it turns out nice. I worked in auto body collision many moons ago, and it takes more than you think to get a nice finish.

I agree. Painting anything "right" takes a lot of effort and knowledge. My fingers are crossed and I am hopefully optimistic. If it was a '63 split window Vette, these guys probably wouldn't have been my first choice to paint my car, but this is a 1997 Jeep and I was just looking for it not to look so bad with all the peeling clear coat and faded base coat.

Besides if it's too nice and too perfect, I won't want to take her in the woods! :-D

I’d love to see the final results. My Jeep needs some painting, and for that price I’d consider not doing it myself. Not too far from me in Atlanta.

I'll keep you posted. I've already had guys on my hunting forum tell me that if my paint job looks good they're bringing their trucks up there to get painted. We'll see.

I need to find a shop like that in my area. I'm not sure if I want to repaint it black or switch to another color.

I need to find a shop like that in my area. I'm not sure if I want to repaint it black or switch to another color.

I always wanted a white jeep, but bought a black because it was the right deal and the right condition. I feel like there’s always going to be black left, somewhere that will be noticed that won’t feel right.

I’ve also just considered wrapping my Jeep white.

I always wanted a white jeep, but bought a black because it was the right deal and the right condition. I feel like there’s always going to be black left, somewhere that will be noticed that won’t feel right.

I'll let ya know, I'm going black to white! It won't be factory but I know I'll be happy.

The same thing happened with me. When I started the hunt for my first Jeep, black was on the bottom of my list of colors. Lo and behold I ended up buying a black LJ because it was too good to pass up. When it's clean, a black Jeep sure does look good.

With the AZ sun and all the dust floating around, white is one of my options.

I'm sure it will look great. I like the color as well. I have had portions of my sled painted, but never the entire rig. Any time I work under my Jeep I grab a rattle can and paint the parts under there. Zero rust and I want to keep it that way. Funny, painting the under bits makes a huge presentation difference. Women will walk by and unconsciously start touching themselves. You may want to have them spray underneath too and watch the fun.

OK guys... So a little update on this thread. I finally got back from Mobile and was able to get by the body shop this morning. Needless to say I was very pleasantly surprised, but before we dive into the pics I want to clarify this is not a base coat/clear coat paint job it is a single stage PPG urethane paint. And honestly I'm glad. I have had really good experiences with single stage paints in the past when trying to buff scratches and and fading out. So being a Jeep that I plan to get scratched up I think it's for the best. Now that that's out of the way on to the pics.

50108533037_8952da26ad_h.jpg

This is Randy Spillman. He's the owner. I think his son Josh did most of, if not all of, the work.

50107729573_e36118212b_h.jpg

A better shop of the quality of the paintwork...

50108290856_f12659f5c8_h.jpg

It turned out better than I could have hoped for. Can't wait to get it back and get it all put back together.

Looks like you got a heck of deal. Some of my jobs 10-15 years ago, $800 would hardly cover materials. But that's all House of Kolor stuff. I've been out of the game for awhile.

Not poo pooing this at all. For what you are using your Jeep for, you don't need a full on custom, show quality paint job. And the single stage route is smart for exactly what you said. Easier to fix.

Kudos to the shop you found. Going to look nice once you get it back together.

Nothing wrong with single stage paints these days esp from a quality supplier (PPG). Clear is mixed in with the base colors and is plenty durable.. even metallics have gotten good results. Like any paint job it's all in the prep and number of coats. Looks like a great deal. I recently took advantage of the virus slowdown and got my F150 painted and came out awesome.

Reactions: Squatch