Shipping my Jeep from VA from FL

sohllis

I hope I am posting this in the right section. I've done some research on shipping my vehicle and I can't affordable prices to ship my rig up to VA. I know it's going to cost more because of the lift kit and 35" tires but I'm not going to pay over $700 to do this. Has anyone had some experience with a company who has shipped their Jeep with reasonable prices?

Last resort is to rent a 10' uhaul truck and tow it myself for about $900. I only plan on hauling my mattress, clothes, and a tv which I could fit in my Jeep and a pick up rental.

HAve you used uship? That's a clearinghouse for shippers. You post your job and you get numerous bids.

I have had good luck with 4 Corners. www.fourcornerstransportservices.com They are very professional and have very competitive rates. I think your going to be lucky to find anything below $1000. Things changed a few years ago. I shipped a car for $500 with a 30 day window. But everyone stopped doing that. And now it seems like a $1000 minimum. I shipped a Honda last year for a grand from Los Angeles to Seattle. But I think that's probably a lot farther than you need.

Reactions: Starrs and sohllis
I've shipped a number of vehicles across the U.S.

I always use https://www.uship.com and have had very good luck with it. The trick is picking a shipper that has the best feedback, and trying to go with a smaller private individual when possible as oppose to the big companies that sub-contract the shipping out.

Post the vehicle up on uShip with pictures and details and shippers will bid on it.

Reactions: sohllis
I tried to ship my son's jeep across the country. Put it out on the dispatch boards and after a month I had only one bite. That company pulled some bait and switch tactics on me, or tried. After I notified a State AG Investigator friend of mine onto them, I decided to grab a buddy as a co-driver, and we towed it out to San Diego in 48hrs.

Remember the Cannonball Run? 2 days there, 2 days in San Diego looking around, 2 days back. We even posted on Pirate and some other wheeling forums and we hauled some axles back to NY for a guy. Helped pay for gas.

Anyway, maybe and hopefully UShip is better.

But if the jeep is mechanically sound, sell the mattress and TV, pack the rest up, ship it via UPS, drive up and buy a new mattress and TV.

Either way good luck to you with the move. Is it for a job or school?

I tried to ship my son's jeep across the country. Put it out on the dispatch boards and after a month I had only one bite. That company pulled some bait and switch tactics on me, or tried. After I notified a State AG Investigator friend of mine onto them, I decided to grab a buddy as a co-driver, and we towed it out to San Diego in 48hrs.

Remember the Cannonball Run? 2 days there, 2 days in San Diego looking around, 2 days back. We even posted on Pirate and some other wheeling forums and we hauled some axles back to NY for a guy. Helped pay for gas.

Anyway, maybe and hopefully UShip is better.

But if the jeep is mechanically sound, sell the mattress and TV, pack the rest up, ship it via UPS, drive up and buy a new mattress and TV.

Either way good luck to you with the move. Is it for a job or school?

I'm going to post on UShip now to see if I get lucky. I'm moving for work. I would drive it up but my rig hasn't been properly geared since the big tires were put on and it inhales gas because of this.

Could you fit all of your stuff in a small U haul trailer? If so you might be able to load up a trailer and pull it with the TJ. Just make sure you have the right equipment to tow, load your vehicle and trailer properly, and keep your speed reasonable and your RPMs up

Last edited:
I had my LJR shipped from Texas to Connecticut for $900. I used Mach 1 transport and can vouch for the professionalism. Though it was my only experience with them, they came highly recommended by the Tx dealer and I had a great experience.

If it's costing more because of lift and tires. take 35's off throw in back off jeep and just pick up a set of cheap stocks with worn out tires or something and that should lower your height and narrow your width and just put 35's min back of jeep cable locked down. Same way they shipping a monster truck, little different but same premise. Or just buy a cheap set of wheels/tires off facebook or somewhere(I've bought a set of newer jk I takeoffs w/2k miles on 5 wheels/tires for $95 and a set of Wrangler 31x10.5x15 75% tread on Ultra Alum wheels for like $140 so cheap ones are pretty easy to find) put them on and drive the jeep up with small trailer if needed.

Plenty of options with as little as you need to transport. This way it costs you nothing but gas and a day so to speak. Or buy the cheap set of wheels put on jeep put 45 in back of jeep( they'll fit, or I had set of 4 in mine on 20x10 rims with a hard top on) take your clothes and sell or just buy new mattress when you get there. Hell maybe it's a memory foam one and you can roll it back up stick in a box and ship it up there. Easy peazy, I moved from MD to Denver when I was 20 with my 19" tube tv,clothes, stereo and tools in a 2 seater Fiero and I had everything I needed bought the rest when I got there.

I'm going to post on UShip now to see if I get lucky. I'm moving for work. I would drive it up but my rig hasn't been properly geared since the big tires were put on and it inhales gas because of this.
Is it going to inhale more than $700 worth of gas, one way?

Reactions: lowranger

So even better then, still geared for smaller wheels. What Miami avg say 15mpg Miami to Northern VA @ 1k miles, avg gas prices look below 2.50 gal so say $160-170

So in the end lets say. $200 gas
cheap set wheel/tires stock sizes $150 only need the for 1 day. Resell when you get there and get money back or possibly make profit on them never know. So lets say $0
Harbor freight has there small 4x8 trailer on sale for like $250 used it, put 35's on it and sell it when you get there. Hell you can even take your mattress now. Get big mattress bag in case any rain. I see them little things sell quick around here every time one hits facebook for sale. Now you got room in jeep for clothes and tv. So you wanna say $200 back cost you $50

So now what's it coasting you? A days drive and like $250 , hell for that matter pick up a hitcher heading north and them pitch in on gas. Even less :unsure: Anyways I didn't even think it thru that thorough when I was 20. I just packed up and hit the road.

Is it going to inhale more than $700 worth of gas, one way?

I would say no unless he is getting 3.5 mpg or worse. And if that's the case I would definitely be leaving it in FL for a happy new owner. Cause Jeeps up here in VA don't burn that much and he doesn't need to be bringing that thing around teaching them any new bad habits. Got enough of those already. :ROFLMAO: