Shocks and springs on a 2001 TJ

c_woodruff91

Finally tackling shocks and springs on my 2001 TJ Sport. Let's just say the ride has been rough. Some of this I always assumed was just a fact of Jeep life, but now that I've got the old parts off of the vehicle and can see just how bad things had gotten, I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Passenger rear shock
and steering stabilizer
for reference. Also note that the passenger rear bump stop was completely gone, though the other three are fully in tact which is better than some I've seen I guess.

This is my first go round with shocks and springs, and I've got a question about the springs I plan to put in the rear. I ordered OME's, part number 2942. They were supposedly made for TJs but they are almost a full 3" taller than the ones that I pulled off. Can I just cram those in, get a little bit of lift, and everything will be fine? Or do I need to replace or mod any other parts to accommodate the taller spring height? Or am I better off finding something more equivalent to the original springs?

The shocks were gonna be Fox 2.0, part number 985-24-085, which are supposed to accommodate up to a 2" lift. Am I gonna need to rethink that as well?

Cheers.

IMG_6889.jpeg

There is a different reaction between gas charged and standard hydraulic shocks/stabilizers. Yours don’t look like they are leaking or dented/damaged. If that is the case, they are probably good. Just maybe not what you are wanting in your ride performance.

Others with more info/knowledge on this will be along to help shortly.

Install the springs, see where it settles and then order the proper length shocks. Since you know the unsparing length and you’ll soon know the ride height, you’ll be able to order the best shock lengths for your application.