Shocks: To Boot or not to Boot

No smart runs the boot, I’ll tell you that much. I made the mistake of running the boots and all I got was obnoxious noise in the rear.

They trap in dirt and debris as well. This is why expensive shocks such as Fox don’t even include boots.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
Leave the boots in the box, they do nothing positive. In fact they can trap grit/dirt/sand/etc. inside which can get into the seal and cause the shock to fail prematurely.

Dang it, guess I'm cutting my boots off. Add it to the never ending list. I'm going to assume the boot on the stabilizer can go as well?

Yes, say no to boots. They cause rust and grit to hold at the shaft wiper.
64ee819555da05e11efb31ed407d1c08.jpg

I was under the impression that the boots limited/protected the shock from the nastiness of the roads and trails. Never thought they were a bad thing. Time for boot removal as well! :)

Stanchion seals have a wiper on them. No reason to also throw a boot on there. I could make a case for keeping the boot on a steering stabilizer as the stanchion rod could pick up stray rocks. I personally don't think the concern is there. I run mine without a boot.

Reactions: Mikester86
They are supposed to protect things. However, when dirt gets inside the boot, it doesn't go away. I was told don't run the boot. It made sense to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk