Shocks

CHAWK

Ok guys got another question. Who is running bilstein shocks on their TJ and how do you like them. I’m about to put new shocks on and was wondering what the best bang for the buck is.

For the price I'd go with Rancho RS5000X. I had Bilsteins and they were a bit on the stiff side.

Reactions: Alatex
There are lots of threads on here about shock choice. The general consensus seems to be that the best bang for buck is either Rancho RS5000X (not RS5000, but RS5000X), or the Skyjacker BlackMax. I've never run the Bilsteins, but most of what I've read on here is that they are stiff for our lightweight TJs.

Reactions: Ante_Up
"If you can tolerate the Bilsteins, that will invalidate any discussion you and I may have from now on. 🤣 They are quite possibly the most annoying damper I've ever used.

Folks tend to brag about how nicely they eat up the larger events while failing to mention accurately in the same breath they are real handy at determining if a quarter is heads or tails simply by passing a tire over it.

Small event harshness is quite annoying to me."
mrblaine

Reactions: Irun
Not sure this makes any sense to me 🤣🤣I guess what your trying to say is the bilstein suck?
Do you like a bone jarring ride? If so, they don't suck.

When I was looking for shocks, I checked out bilsteins. In the product specs it said Not recommended for off road use.
Went with Rancho 5000x instead.

When I was looking for shocks, I checked out bilsteins. In the product specs it said Not recommended for off road use.
Went with Rancho 5000x instead.
It's not just for offroad use. I've run 5100s and thought they were rough, but tolerable. Then I drove with them on a washboard dirt road and their fundamental flaw became evident. Going around every corner the tail end of the Jeep would come loose and I'd have to get off the throttle. Once I switched to a different shock, in my case a Black Max, I no longer experienced that issue. The exact same thing applies on asphalt. The 5100 is well made shock, but they are just to stiff for a lighter TJ. Some people run them, which is their choice to do so.

I just switched from Bilstein 5100s to Skyjacker Black Max. I am happy. I had the Bilsteins for over 10 years. Since my Jeep is not a daily driver and I usually trailer to rides with the club, it wasn't an issue. As I'm getting older and drive the Jeep more around town as well as trail rides, I'm looking for a smoother ride.

The first two days with the Black Max's and I'm pretty happy. The roads up here in NY are terrible. They're more tolerable with the new shocks.

Reactions: Irun
I had the Bilstein 5100 series shocks on my TJ for a few years. They seemed stiff. I'm also running a Rubicon Express lift, which has a reputation for having stiff springs.

I know there's a lot of discussion on how much springs actually affect the ride vs. shocks. Not going there right now. I'm just saying my Jeep has stiff springs.

I just recently (last couple months?) changed my shocks to the Rancho RS5000X series based on recommendations from this forum. Did I notice a difference? Maybe on pavement - kinda hard to tell. Haven't four-wheeled it yet with the new Rancho shocks. Not regretting my decision at all.

If you do go to the Ranch shocks, they come painted with a very thin coat of white paint that makes them look cheap. They will start rusting and looking like crap in a year or so (I've had Rancho 5000 series shocks on other vehicles). Scuff them up and put on a good coat of real paint before you mount them. I painted mine with Rustoleum metalic silver and they look high-end now.

Reactions: Rickstar321