Shopping for a 05-06 TJ

Shady Oaks

So I have been recently shopping around for my first wrangler. Will be a 3 rd vehicle. Was originally looking at $5-7k range, but in the last few days have started to think about postponing until I can comfortably drop $10-11k or so on one. I'm in no rush thanks to the wife assuring me of that lol.

My question is how to shop for a 05-06 wrangler with an automatic? I am well aware of the PCM plague that haunts them, but is there anyway to make buying one more reassuring? Certainly not every single 05-06 auto has this problem, right???? I'm not opposed to a manual, but just curious about an answer to this question.

You're better off waiting until you have 10-11k to spend. 5-7k isn't going to get you a nice, rust free 05-06 TJ, plain and simple.

That problem has been blown out of proportion with the 05-06 automatics. I've had TWO 05s with automatics and never once had that issue, not once.

Again, it's blown out of proportion because the only stuff you read on the internet is negative things.

Even if you did end up having that issue, there is a fix for it anyways.

Reactions: skrelnik and Daryl
I should have clarified my original budget and intent. I was looking at 97-00 tj’s with a lot of miles and higher risk of rusted frames or other issues. Not that the 05-06 is risk free, but I like the idea of something under 100k miles.

In 2016 I paid $13,000 for an ‘06 LJ that was in great shape, rust free and mostly stock (aftermarket radio, aftermarket hardtop, aftermarket rear bumper) and it had 92,000 miles on it.

Last edited: