Should front wheels move when in 2WD and neutral when jacked up?

ponystang

Should front wheels freewheel when in 2WD and NEUTRAL when jacked up? My 99 jeep TJ's front wont move. driver side Back wheel spins in the gravel, no move though. both side new rotors and calipers. PO had issues with it locking up while driving. I havent driven it on road yet, but it did move around in my grass yard.thanks-—--my first post!

Need more detail, manual or auto, what’s in neutral transmission or transfer case, if both front wheels are off the ground the other side should spin in the opposite direction, if the rear aren’t spinning there might be a limited slip, pull the diff cover and look

Reactions: Chris
Should front wheels freewheel when in 2WD and NEUTRAL when jacked up? My 99 jeep TJ's front wont move. driver side Back wheel spins in the gravel, no move though. both side new rotors and calipers. PO had issues with it locking up while driving. I havent driven it on road yet, but it did move around in my grass yard.thanks-—--my first post!

More detail is needed. This post causes some questions.

"My 99 jeep TJ's front wont move." front, as in wheels? Move, as in rotate/spin?

I understand this: "driver side Back wheel spins in the gravel" but what has: "no more move" and would that move also be rotate/spin?

I bet move around the yard isn't rotate/spin but is that move in 2WD, 4WD or both?

Or a stick with a caliper hanging up. Front has no axle disconnect so BOTH front tires need to be in the air to spin easily. Check the master cylinder and see what the brake fluid looks like. If it isn't clean then a locked up corner is possible. My brakes were "all new" when I bought it. Within 40 miles I had 4 calipers locked up tight from dirty brake fluid.

UPDATE---99 Jeep is a Sport, cheapest model, manual shift, dana 30 front diff. When I tighten the lug nuts on the front wheels they no longer rotate. Loosen lug nuts- the wheel rotates fine. I've never had a front caliper and rotor that did this- in 30 years. Autozone parts, maybe thats the problem. I see nothing binding. Changed caliper bolts back to original, it didnt help. The caliper holding bracket was not changed, only caliper and rotor and pads. all new front brake lines, metal and rubber. This is happening on both front wheels.

UPDATE---99 Jeep is a Sport, cheapest model, manual shift, dana 30 front diff. When I tighten the lug nuts on the front wheels they no longer rotate. Loosen lug nuts- the wheel rotates fine. I've never had a front caliper and rotor that did this- in 30 years. Autozone parts, maybe thats the problem. I see nothing binding. Changed caliper bolts back to original, it didnt help. The caliper holding bracket was not changed, only caliper and rotor and pads. all new front brake lines, metal and rubber. This is happening on both front wheels.
thank you Ct_tj. Now I have something to look into, I was at a dead end. Do you happen to know which year did they change to- late 1999 to the 2000 TJ size rotor?

Last edited:
thank you Ct_tj. Now I have something to look into, I was at a dead end. Do you happen to know which year did they change to- late 1999 to the 2000 TJ size rotor?
You have the early rotors on the late unit bearings. They are locking up on the knuckle when you tighten the lug nuts. You need the late rotors, just get some for a 2000 up.