Should I be able to shift out of park without the brake applied?

LJ06

First Jeep here so not sure if normal.

When ignition is off, I can shift out of park without depressing the brake. With ignition on, it does lock until the brake is pressed. 42RLE in a 06 LJ

Maybe a fuse or electrical issue?

That's how things used to be before lawyers and politicians involved themselves in vehicle design.

The likely reason you now have that ability is a previous owner disconnected or removed the shift/brake interlock cable.

That's how things used to be before lawyers and politicians involved themselves in vehicle design.

The likely reason you now have that ability is a previous owner disconnected or removed the shift/brake interlock cable.
Thanks. Was just not since the lock does activate when the ignition is on, but not when off. Seems like a removed cable would never “activate”?

Take a look at this video, starting at around 7:45 mins. The tab for the interlock may be missing.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks. Was just not since the lock does activate when the ignition is on, but not when off. Seems like a removed cable would never “activate”?

Probably multiple layers of "protection", one of them was disabled allowing you to shift out of park with the ignition off. Another one still working when it's on.

Could be worse. I broke down in my '08 Grand Cherokee, alternator died. No power, drained battery, couldn't figure out how to get it in neutral for tow truck driver. Had to do the unthinkable, read the manual, lol. There's a tiny little cover you pry off of the center console and jam a key into it to unlock the shifter without power. A key, BTW, that I don't have because it's a keyless ignition. (Yeah, I figured out the answer to that later).

Technology is great, I think.