Should I be concerned about torn track bar grease boot?

Bwilson79

I’m greasing all of my zerks before an off roading trip this weekend. Most leak out of the boot, which I read is pretty normal. The one that concerns me is what I believe to be the track bar grease boot. It has a crack, see pics, and is flat. I cleaned off all the grease to show the crack..

is this something I should be concerned about and get replaced before the trip?
thanks guys!
2006 wrangler tj
Rubicon express 5.5 long arm lift
1880D639-EB8E-416E-B6E7-69E52B3F738D.jpeg
039054F6-63A9-485A-9DFD-50D79E5F5363.png

In my very limited experience I think a cracked boot is an opportunity for grit to get in there and cause it to wear faster, not to mention losing the grease that much faster too.

Maybe fix it when you're able but if it's still solid my guess is it'd hold up for at least a little longer, so probably not super urgent.

Maybe @mrblaine will recommend that people throw rocks at me for that advice?

Reactions: DWR
Absolutely nothing to worry about short or long term. The boot is not a seal it is a dust guard. Dirt wont migrate into a regularly serviced joint. If you want to change out the boot at some point that's fine but short term don't worry. Some "boots" are nothing more than polyurethane caps that don't seal at all. Old joints didn't even have rubber boots. Grease it every oil change if you are worried, if you are really worried look for a replacement at your convenience.

Absolutely nothing to worry about short or long term. The boot is not a seal it is a dust guard. Dirt wont migrate into a regularly serviced joint. If you want to change out the boot at some point that's fine but short term don't worry. Some "boots" are nothing more than polyurethane caps that don't seal at all. Old joints didn't even have rubber boots. Grease it every oil change if you are worried, if you are really worried look for a replacement at your convenience.
Thanks So much for the advice! Great to know. Since I can’t see the boot swelling on that one, Do you suggest Just a couple (2) good pumps of fresh grease? I guess I can’t over grease it. Thanks again!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
That's your drag link. You need to have a friend slowly move the steering wheel from 10-2 and see if it has play when you change directions..that's your primary joint. If it doesn't move unnecessarily , it's fine ..but you will get more life , or at least longer service intervals with a new boot..O'Reilly's has them from Energy Suspension , they are red, sold behind the counter in the performance parts section.

If you must remove it , pre soak in penetrant and rent a puller, and replace with a Moog brand if you can swing the higher price.

You appear to have a dropped pitman arm it's attached to..if the track bar isn't dropped at the frame, get a stock one and it will drive better over bumps .

Reactions: Jamison C
Clean it up with a bit of denatured alcohol and then apply some silicon over the rip. Dirt can definitely find it's way in. You should not be greasing to the point of the boot oozing grease. They should be 'plump' with grease. If they are then don't need more. Over greasing causes as much problems as under greasing.

That's your drag link. You need to have a friend slowly move the steering wheel from 10-2 and see if it has play when you change directions..that's your primary joint. If it doesn't move unnecessarily , it's fine ..but you will get more life , or at least longer service intervals with a new boot..O'Reilly's has them from Energy Suspension , they are red, sold behind the counter in the performance parts section.

If you must remove it , pre soak in penetrant and rent a puller, and replace with a Moog brand if you can swing the higher price.

You appear to have a dropped pitman arm it's attached to..if the track bar isn't dropped at the frame, get a stock one and it will drive better over bumps .

Thanks for the info! Any idea which boot I need? -> https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/br...goryNames=Ball+Joint+Boot&q=energy+suspension

Not sure , those are basically all ball joint boots , most any tie rod end boot will work, they basically fit by tension ...if you ask Energy tech support what fits a Moog E3096L you will have the best fit. It's a little bigger than the other tie rod ends, and same as used on a V8 Cherokee.

I always replaced torn boots when I got around to it. I tend to get OCD over little things. Cheap and easy fix. If you don't replace it, keep it greased. Pumping new grease in should push the grit out.

FWIW, I think that is your drag link, not your track bar...

The rest of the discussion is good, but just wanted to try and help with terminology. Be easier to find the right boot if you do decide to replace it.

Reactions: rasband
Agreed...wouldn't the extra grease just get pushed out the sides? It certainly wouldn't cause a joint to fail at least in my limited experience.
Another "agree" The only problem "overgreasing" is going to cause is a mess. It won't bother the joint.

The grease that swells the boot (or oozes out if the boot is cracked or split) is not really lubricating anything. It is old grease that has already done its job of lubricating the joint, and has subsequently been pushed out of the joint and into the boot by fresh grease at the last greasing.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford