Should I buy a pre-bent brake line in steel or stainless steel?

woody367

TJ Enthusiast
So my front steel brake line rusted out and all the otheres look bad. Should I buy pre-bent line in steel or stainless. Or I found online EZ FIT NICOPP brake line kit. I have I never heard of them and have no idea if there are goodI am also wondering how hard it will be to install any of them with the body on? Any thoughhts?

If you're getting the pre-bent lines, personally I'd go with stainless and be done... Steel will suffer from corrosion and eventually get to where you are at now. NiCu isn't a bad option but still doesn't offer the strength and longevity that stainless would (but it is a lot easier to bend than plain steel!).

Reactions: CharlesHS
Make them with some nickel copper lines. Easiest thing ever. We make them all the time here.
Without expensive equipment you wouldn't have that we do you can still work with that stuff. As in bend it with your hands. Its great stuff.

Get yourself a cheap flare tool if you're only doing this once.

Trust me....trying to do pre-bent lines with the body on, wiring, steering box and shaft...radiator splash guard, side skirts, vacuum plumbing, more wires, etc. Without bending the "pre bent" lines...trying to fit that shit up in there. LOL..
It's tool throwing time...LOL

Get a roll of the nickel/copper lines, the fittings you need...a cheap flare tool...

Go cat go.

If you're getting the pre-bent lines, personally I'd go with stainless and be done... Steel will suffer from corrosion and eventually get to where you are at now. NiCu isn't a bad option but still doesn't offer the strength and longevity that stainless would (but it is a lot easier to bend than plain steel!).

X2 to this, especially being in NY, where vehicles don't last long due to the rust issues.

Reactions: glowell222
I used stainless as well: Classic Tube JE1043 without ABS and for the Dana 35 with drum brakes. You should also check that fuel vapor return line 'cause if your brake lines are rusted I am pretty sure that line is rusted as well, and it's right by the exhaust manifold. Alternatively, get a fire extinguisher and keep it handy.

Thanks guys. I am still deciding which way to go. The mild steel is out, so prebent stainless or the nicoo. The EZ FIT NICOPP brake line kit comes with all the line cut to length with the end on it. Just need to bent them to fit.

I did all my brake & fuel lines on my CJ7 using pre-bent stainless lines from Classic Tube.

I also did it with the tub, transmission, skid plate, etc in place, so it *can* be done. On a CJ anyway. I did remove the radiator, now that I think about it.

I did the dorman stainless 4 years ago when I did my 2000 tj.Way to many bends for my patience.Easy peasey and looks really cool to see no rusty lines. Really shines with the fluid film running off.Everything went very smooth and really great quality.
Bruce

I did the dorman stainless 4 years ago when I did my 2000 tj.Way to many bends for my patience.Easy peasey and looks really cool to see no rusty lines. Really shines with the fluid film running off.Everything went very smooth and really great quality.
Bruce
Bruce, so is there way to many bends for your patients to install or was it a easy job to install the prebent kit?

Last edited:
After taking the rusted ones off I realized the work getting up and down from under the jeep without a lift would have been totally ridiculous. I had already laid under it for 2 months doing the frame repairs..Just crawl under and look at all the bends.There are lots and lots of bends at all different angles.Tight to the rear axle and from the firewall down. I would have had to get a roll of brakeline and fittings get under (remember no lift ) law on my back,cut and start guessing. When you get a prebent set it is plug and play and computer bent.Way,way easier.Just ask robert and rubicon88in the above reply.For $200 canadian versus $50 or ? for a roll and fittings it is a no brainer.
My 2 cents.
Bruce

Reactions: Blondie70
I used stainless as well: Classic Tube JE1043 without ABS and for the Dana 35 with drum brakes. You should also check that fuel vapor return line 'cause if your brake lines are rusted I am pretty sure that line is rusted as well, and it's right by the exhaust manifold. Alternatively, get a fire extinguisher and keep it handy.

Good point, and I replaced it from front to back as I was doing the brake lines. Stainless lasts for sure, because my fuel line was fine, and the brake and vapor lines were nearly rusted through.

Reactions: glowell222