Should I buy a standard LJ or LJ Rubicon?

It depends on how big you plan to build your LJ. If you’re going max 32” tire size, a Rubi is a good deal. If 33” or larger, just an LJ, bc you’ll be replacing the gears anyway, and while you’re in there you can add better lockers, you can get an Atlas and sell your 4:1 TCase, et al...Just not worth it when your replacing everything anyway.
100 % agree with this. It's almost word for word what I was about to say.

Reactions: JMT
I have an Unlimited Rubi and a buddy in our group has a non-Rubi. He regeared, put an Eaton locker in the rear and he goes everywhere I do. Never once did I hear him complain about not having 4:1.

I'd say search for the cleanest one out there. Average miles on the clock, appears to have been well taken care of and minimal rust. That's the one you'll want. Then spend all the money you saved if it was a non-Rubi to begin your builds. There's dozens of posts on here that talk about how everyone ditches the Rubi lockers once the LSD function fails. They are awesome rigs, but they have their shortfalls too. JMT and Goatman give sound advice!

If I were you I would go with a regular LJ. LJs already come with a rear Dana 44 so you don't have to worry too much about doing a complete axle swap based on your description of how you'll be using it. You will be able to add lockers if you decide you need them in the future. As mentioned before the big thing that you won't get will be a the 4:1 transfer case, I think this could only be an issue for you quite a ways down the road. I feel like a good LJ will already sell very easily compared to a TJ so resale value between an LJ and an LJR shouldn't really be a factor, you're already in a good spot there.

Get a Unlimited Rubicon It will be a search but in the long run it will be a good investment.

That said I looked for 2 years and drove 8 hours to get ours.

I had specific wants: White with Factory Hardtop and auto trans owned by an old guy ( IMHO the most important part) that did not drill a bunch of hole and modify it.

LJ's run for a lot these days. in my opinion if youre going to buy an lj just take the hit and buy the rubicon. will be very worth it in the long run

I was in the same situation. I ultimately found whatever came up first, I live out in Cali and bought a 06 Unlimited from the original owner for 12.5k. Truck has 110k miles on it. I think a Rubi would have been alot more honestly.

If you can find a Rubi for a decent price and plan to keep the original axles and lockers, do that.

However, you just have to keep looking. You might find a well built LJ, not a Rubi. When I got it mine, had ARB lockers front and rear, fully built on 35's (though maybe not well built). Front was a HP30, not Dana 44. It does have the Rubi t-case. So really the only thing I was missing is the front Dana 44 and the Rubi sticker. Would you walk away from it because it's not the Rubi?

Find the LJ that fits your budget first. Then decide if it's worth holding out for a Rubi. There are lots of well built, non-Rubi's out there.

Looks like a decent deal to me. Price maybe a little high, but maybe room to bargin. Low miles for an LJ too.

Try for $17K, work from there.
I was thinking the same thing but around here a unlimited wity similar miles are going for similar prices. It looks like whoever modded it put some money in it but I'm really gonna probably stick to my guns at 18k and no more

Reactions: suicideking
I would break it down to price. What would you pay for a LJR and how much less for a LJ. I got my LJ for a great price and both buddy’s payed 10k more for there LJRs. Zero complaints with the 2.72 ratio but yes it would be nice to have lower. Just not 10k worth it. I did get gears and lockers right away and added that to the asking cost just my head.

I was like looking for an LJR, but when I came across this 04 LJ I couldn’t pass it up. It is pretty well built. If I ever manage to break the Dana30 I can always put back a 44. I don’t think I will be crawling hard enough to need transfer case upgrade.

For me the biggest draw backs are hardtop, automatic and maybe some what the color. I love black but so hard to keep looking nice when your not offroading. I was shooting for a red one but I know I cant be too picky

You can buy a brand new soft top, profit when you sell the hard top for $1000 - $1200.

Black is probably the worst color to get. My last Jeep was black and I would never get a black 4X4 again. You can bed line the armor and get a wrap. Most won't want to go that route though.

Trans should be a big factor. Many prefer auto for wheeling (I had my manual swapped to auto). Though if you really want a manual, that may be worth holding out for. Definitely better street, highway, and mountain driving with a manual. I only miss my manual going up hill.

If I could have found one I’d have bought a rubi.

Got a sport instead and now it’s got ARB’s in HP 44 and 60 with a rubicrawler. I’m happy now.

Reactions: Jamesval035
Most of what makes my Rubicon a Rubicon has been modded or upgraded. The only significant thing left is the transfercase, and i have thoughts of replacing it also. I would look for a 2004 LJ if I decided to NOT get a Rubicon. If you wheel in stock condition, a Rubicon far outpaces a regular LJ. As soon as you start modding and upgrading, the premium price for a Rubi disappears.

Reactions: taylormade73