Should I buy this 2000 TJ Sahara with 170k Miles?

goanywhere17

Pictures below. I'm seriously considering a TJ as my daily driver, at least in the short term (1 year), and then buy a new 4xE or some other car as a second one. I plan to learn how to wrench with this car as well.

Anyways, for $11,500 is this a good buy in terms of value and condition? Anything helps, thank you!

1634662666274.png

1634662681584.png

1634662695166.png

1634662711709.png

1634662725926.png

1634662739632.png

Without detailed photos of the underside, we can’t give you a good answer. For that price it would be a steal if the frame is clean. I doubt the frame is clean for that price though.

Reactions: Ericict
Without detailed photos of the underside, we can’t give you a good answer. For that price it would be a steal if the frame is clean. I doubt the frame is clean for that price though.
Ok, thanks. I asked him for pics of the frame. I'll post them here if he sends them. Will also take it to my mechanic for an inspection to be cautious. Thanks!

Reactions: Chris and Vasq
It says frame was replaced last year, so that means look for other rust!

Agree, check for rust as a primary concern. States both tops too as a plus, good luck. At a quick glance the top side looks pretty good.

Reactions: Irun
It says frame was replaced last year, so that means look for other rust!

I missed that! This could be a good thing, but it could also be a bad thing in terms of rust being on the tub and other places. Generally you don't replace a frame unless it's VERY rusty, and if that is the case, usually that rust isn't just exclusive to the frame.

I missed that! This could be a good thing, but it could also be a bad thing in terms of rust being on the tub and other places. Generally you don't replace a frame unless it's VERY rusty, and if that is the case, usually that rust isn't just exclusive to the frame.
Indeed. The following are areas to check:
- rear wheel wells, where the plastic fender liner is, both driver and passenger
- above the gas tank skid (all the way to the rear bumper)
- rockers
- front fenders
- all steel brake, fuel, and evap lines
- tub floors
- torque boxes (where the side body mounts attach)

In this case, they said the brake lines were also replaced!

-

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Indeed. The following are areas to check:
- rear wheel wells, where the plastic fender liner is, both driver and passenger
- above the gas tank skid (all the way to the rear bumper)
- rockers
- front fenders
- all steel brake, fuel, and evap lines
- tub floors

In this case, they said the brake lines were also replaced!

-
Don't forget to check the torque boxes around the body mounts also. Good looking Jeep though from what we can see here!

Reactions: Irun
Might wanna find out if it has the original 0331 head or the updated TUPY head. 2000-2002 TJ’s had some problems with the heads cracking. If you see TUPY stamped in when you look down the oil fill, it’s the updated version.

Which is the better jeep -
2001 6 cylinder with 157K or
a 2006 4 cylinder with 87K
both are in good condition and no rust

Which is the better jeep -
2001 6 cylinder with 157K or
a 2006 4 cylinder with 87K
both are in good condition and no rust

I guess it depends on how plan to use it but I wouldn’t consider a 4 cyl. 157k on the 4.0 wouldn’t bother me as you would want to do routine maintenance, fluid refresh, etc. on any 15 - 20 yr old vehicle you buy.

Do you live in New York? I personally wouldn’t buy one up there. I would buy one in the south and bring it back home. There’s probably a good reason the frame was replaced and I would look carefully at the tub and other potential rust areas.

I’m in Atlanta, I can keep an eye out for you down here if you want.

I live in Oregon. - if you know anybody this ne
Do you live in New York? I personally wouldn’t buy one up there. I would buy one in the south and bring it back home. There’s probably a good reason the frame was replaced and I would look carefully at the tub and other potential rust areas.

I’m in Atlanta, I can keep an eye out for you down here if you want.
I'm in Oregon - if you know anybody here - please let me know - thanks

Reactions: TRE3TOP
I guess it depends on how plan to use it but I wouldn’t consider a 4 cyl. 157k on the 4.0 wouldn’t bother me as you would want to do routine maintenance, fluid refresh, etc. on any 15 - 20 yr old vehicle you buy.
I'll use it as a daily driver and to play lightly on trails and in the snow. - not going wild with it.
Still take the 6cyl?

I live in Oregon. - if you know anybody this ne

I'm in Oregon - if you know anybody here - please let me know - thanks
What part of Oregon? Someone on here was looking at a Jeep in Redmond a couple weeks back. I lived in Bend for about 4-5 years but wasn’t in the Jeep community at that time.