Should I go with free JK rims or not-free TJ rims?

abruzzi

a friend with a 2009 JK Unlimited got new rims and offered to give me his five take-off rims no-charge. They are 17" rims of the common variety:

thumbW9074A.jpg

I know the bolt pattern is different as well as the offset, so I'd have to buy adapters. I don't know how good or reliable the adapters are. Are there issues with centering, or strength? In the end though, this is probably less than $200 before I add tires.

Alternatively, I look for a set of Moab takeoff's from a TJ. They're more expensive, especially if I can't find any local. car-part.com lists some in Phoenix for $80 each, but I don't know what shipping would look like. Also, these are all 16" rims, which may be a good or bad thing--I don't know. The real benefit is not having adapters to worry about, but this would probably be over $500 before I add tires.

thumbW9047.jpg

I'd like to save money, but not at the expense of how well the vehicle performs. Any thoughts?

(BTW, my current rims are the standard steelies on a 2006 TJ)

I'd say it personal preference once you get past the lack of 16" tires. Check out @Midnight LJR build thread, pretty early on he was running the JK Moabs and notes his thoughts on the spacers.

I think the 17's look a little big on anything under a 35 but that's just me.

Reactions: Tob and Tldelaney
I’ve run 17” and wouldn’t have an issue doing so again. Adapters are cheap now. The benefit is there are a lot more options out there for 17” wheels. 16” like the TJ Moabs is a little scarce in size and load range selections.

My old TJ on JK Moabs with 32s (255/70r17)
D890163F-736A-4FD5-9A0D-BF2658A2A98A.jpeg

JK rims with adapters gives you a 5" backspacing. How wide of tires do you plan to run? Most people shoot for 4" or less of backspacing.

I went the JK rim with adapters/spacers route and ended up changing. Primarily because spacers are not legal in my state. Also, with only 5" of backspacing, I'm limited to tire width without rubbing.

Should run TJ to JK adapters unless you are going to run 37's (maybe 35's). Even then, you don't want to use the OEM JK wheels. If you're running 35's, I'd definitely avoid running adapters of any kind. Get the right size wheel. For up to 35's, you want 15 X 8 wheels.

17" wheels do give you more room for brakes though. Some prefer a 17" for a 35".

Should run TJ to JK adapters unless you are going to run 37's (maybe 35's). Even then, you don't want to use the OEM JK wheels. If you're running 35's, I'd definitely avoid running adapters of any kind. Get the right size wheel. For up to 35's, you want 15 X 8 wheels.

17" wheels do give you more room for brakes though. Some prefer a 17" for a 35".
If you're beating on 35s/37s hard enough to break a (quality) adapter you're going to break the wheel off anyway.

If you're beating on 35s/37s hard enough to break a (quality) adapter you're going to break the wheel off anyway.

Not really concerned about breakage because of an adapter. Just think they should only be used if you have a reason to need JK wheels. Running JK wheels just because they're free is not a good reason.

Proportionately, 17" wheels look too big on a TJ. Plus, you need to run adapters to make them fit. That means 20 more lug nuts to deal with. A lot of tire shops refuse to mount tires on wheels with spacers for legality reasons.

16" look better on a TJ and you don't need spacers.

My opinion is to go with the [not free] 16" Moab wheels that were designed for the TJ.

Reactions: Vtx531
Well from a looks standpoint, I don't like 17" wheels until they have 35" tires.

Thanks for the feedback. Right now the truck is stock, but my expectation is a small lift (OME) and ~32 x10 inch tires. In 17”, that would probably be 275/75R17. In 16” it would probably be 265/75R16, though that size seems to be mostly load range E. 17 is definitely easier to find the right tire. My biggest concern was whether putting adapters in the mix created another likely point of failure. It seems like opinion is divided on that point. Visually I prefer a large tire and small rim over a large rim and small tire, and I also prefer to have correct factory parts, so I’m leaning in the directions of TJ Moabs. Now, if I call the shop, and it’s $100 per rim to ship, then I might change my mind.

I agree with TJRick.

Ever see a 1990’s pickup truck with 2010’s wheels? Ew

Especially if you like the 16’s better. Don’t settle on the entire look of you Jeep to save a little bit of money.

Quadratec sells 16” Moab lookalikes. I have seen them as low as $79.99 each on sale with free shipping a couple months ago.

Reactions: TJRick
... I’m leaning in the directions of TJ Moabs. Now, if I call the shop, and it’s $100 per rim to ship, then I might change my mind.

You could probably find a beat up set locally and pay to have them powder coated for less than buying a good set and having them shipped. I've paid as little as $20 CDN for TJ MOAB rims in rough but usable shape and then $100 to have them powder coated. That would work out to less than $100 US each all in and you could pick a different colour and/or texture if that appeals to you.

Hmmm... free JK wheels that need an adapter with 20 extra lug nuts and will stick out further vs. not-free TJ wheels that will work perfectly without needing the adapter that makes the wheels stick out.

To me that's like comparing free hammer blows to the head vs. a big smooth $5 chocolate milkshake. One costs more but... :D

Hmmm... free JK wheels that need an adapter with 20 extra lug nuts and will stick out further vs. not-free TJ wheels that will work perfectly without needing the adapter that makes the wheels stick out.

To me that's like comparing free hammer blows to the head vs. a big smooth $5 chocolate milkshake. One costs more but... :D
I've never seen or purchased wheel adapters or spacers that didn't come with lug nuts. JK rims that would need the adapters to bolt up to a TJ don't actually stick out further since they have 5"+ backspacing in stock form. A 1" thick adapter puts them at a very comfortable 4" effective backspacing. I actually buy JK rims to run on my rigs so I'm not even getting the free smacks in the head, I'm paying for them.

Not a fan of 18’s on a TJ but it does look good with the lift you have.

Seems like a lot of people throw on 32-33” JK takeoff tires with no lift and it causes an awkward stance.

Reactions: Hoss2695