Should I haul my TJ out to Moab with the soft top on?

sam53

TJ Enthusiast
I plan on going to moab in April.
I have a factory hardtop and a never used factory soft top. Plan on hauling the 03 Rubi out there. My question. Can I haul it out and not beat the soft top to death or should I just leave the hard top on. Many thanks. Also, im no a soft top lover anyways

Probably be a nicer trip with a soft top if you plan to remove the rear windows. If you plan to leave the windows in the whole time, might as well take the hard top.

Hard top can be a liability on a hard trail though. Just depends on what you're doing.

First year I went down to Moab I hauled it with my top on with no averse affect to the top.

IMGP0427.JPG

Next year when I went down for some reason I'd conviced myself that I didn't need a top. So I left it at home and just put my trail cover on. Worst mistake I could have done.... It rained 2 of the day I was there and it was colder than it had been the year before. So I really missed not having my top.

IMG_0639.JPG

As everyone else said you'll have no issues towing the Jeep with you soft top on. I would not want to have my hardtop on becasue if for some reason you get rocked to either side you could break a side window and/or damage the hardtop. Just my feelings.

Reactions: Alex01
I drove the '11 Wrangler JK soft top I previously owned from San Diego to Moab in October 2018 before moving to the Philippines.
Night time driving on the highway at 28* going thru the mountains was interesting and daytime driving in the snow on the LaSalle Mtn Loop at 10,000' was enjoyable, but I found out what the limitations were with a stock Wrangler.
Sold the Jeep in November 2019 after returning from overseas.

IMG_6642.JPG

IMG_6710.JPG

Last edited:
I have a factory hardtop and a never used factory soft top. Plan on hauling the 03 Rubi out there. My question. Can I haul it out and not beat the soft top to death or should I just leave the hard top on. Many thanks. Also, im no a soft top lover anyways
Did you plan on towing much faster than you drive the TJ?

Wildman, thanks for the reply. What kind of trail cover do you have that it will accept being installed while in transit?

I'm not sure that the manufacturer would agree and say it was OK to haul the Jeep with their cover installed but I've done it numerous times with no ill effects. I did have a safari top on under the cover not that it matters. I did bring my windows with me so I had some protection against the rain.

The cover company is called Rain Gear and the price has gone UP. I bought my cover in 2006 because I wouldn't run with my top on thru the trails here in the PNW. Didn't want to scratch the window. So when I'd park at night I'd throw the cover on. Kept the dew or rain off. I like the cover and think it is good quality. I can't speak for any of the other manufacturers and how their covers would hold up.
If you notice I have a strap going over the front bottom of the cover. I found out REAL quick that if I didn't do this it would catch the wind. I just made sure all the straps were as tight as I could get them and it worked.

I’ve driven my TJ to Moab sometimes doing 80 mph.

I’ve towed it at about 75 mph.

The soft top didn’t care either time.

I take my Bestop trail cover incase I leave the soft top at camp.

Back in 1984 we moved from NE Nebraska to Phoenix. Four of us and a cat in a CJ7 with a soft top. Not the quietest ride, but the top was sufficient.

Thanks so much to everyone. Just don't have much love for plastic windows in the first place. but I have been warned about taking a hardtop to Moab because of possible damage. I will purchase a Rain Gear cover and proceed that way. Again thanks EVERY
ONE

At 95 mph, the soft top will start to try and fold down
My soft top was new back the. I wouldn’t try that now.

side note probably shouldn’t buy a Jeep in Germany. The govern out at 95 mph.