Should I have a shop rebuild my transmission before selling my Rubicon?

04RubiOR

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
As the title states, i am selling my Jeep. The NV3550 is making some weird noises (more than the standard weird noises). My question is should i just have a shop rebuild it before i sell it, or sell as is? I have a local shop that quoted me $1300 to rebuild it, using god knows what rebuild kit. The transmission shifts fine and appears to be working just fine. It does make noise that sounds like the bearings are going out. I have recently changed the fluid with Redline tranny fluid, but that didn't help. Just not sure if putting the $1300 into it would be worth it. I was hoping to get $14,000 for it (if i had the tranny rebuilt).

2004 Rubicon
111,500 mi
hardtop
4" lift
(5) 35" Micky Thompson MTZ P3 75% left
4.88 gears
brand new heater core and evap core
Curry Currectlync stearing
Vanco 15" Big Brake kit
Rancho RS5000X shocks
Paint and interior are good for being a 2004

I would suggest fixing it unless your ready for bunch of low ball offers. Every time I see an ad that someone says all it needs is... makes me think they are just trying to unload a lemon. You will immediately loose a good amount of interested parties who won't even look at it. Have it rebuilt or toss one in from a junkyard to save a few dollars.

Last edited:
I would. It will make it much easier to sell as a good running vehicle as oppose to one that needs work.

If it were me, I'd fix it because buyers would just use it as a point to knock the price down even more. I would also get an estimate at another shop to see if it's in the same ballpark.

I would suggest fixing it unless your ready for bunch of low ball offers. Every time I see an ad that someone says all it need is... makes me think they are just trying to unload a lemon. You will immediately loose a good amount of interested parties who won't even look at it. Have it rebuilt or toss one in from a junkyard to save a few dollars.

This. I can't imagine any for sale ad that mentions "needs a transmission rebuild" that wouldn't invoke low ball offers from flaky people.

3550’s sound like a trammel full of rocks to start with so a proper diagnosis is in order first. I would think throw out bearing first. If you do indeed need a new tranny do a Luk clutch and pressure plate + a new throw out bearing while you’re at it and ask a bit more.