Should I replace my engine or to sell the Jeep and cut my losses?

Those two top bolts are not that bad, but get a good eTOrx socket and some serious extensions.

I'm with the others, you've got a clean used car (TJ) with a new engine for $2,000 plus your time to put it in, let's say it's $2,000 for labor for someone to do it, that's $4k....$5k tops .

Here's the question you have to ask....can you get a car as nice as this TJ, with an engine that has a warranty, even if it's 24 months warranty......for $4-$5k? If the answer is no...then you put a new engine and that's that. I wouldn't discount repairing the current, you could get out of this for less, which is still less than a different car.

Reactions: John Cooper
Hello folks, I'm needing some advice. My daughter's 2000 TJ Sahara, apparently, threw a rod. Lots of sickly sounding metal noises, and metal shavings in the oil. Pretty obvious engine is shot. We love this Jeep; it has been good to my daughter, and has lots of accessories. The Jeep has 127,000 miles on it, has an I6 4.0.L. I looked at comparable Jeeps for sale, and we are looking at between $12K and $9K. If we choose to sell as-is, what is a reasonable expectation of a selling price? Whatever that number is, there is no way we'll be able to take that money and get something as nice as this Jeep.

If we choose to replace the engine, how easy is it to find a replacement I6? I did view some YouTube videos on the subject of engine replacement and, although I do consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined, the chore appears a bit daunting for someone who has never done such an extensive operation. Side note: Would it not be easier to pull the engine with the tranny still attached, then remove the tranny and attach it to the replacement engine prior to putting it back in? Seems what I see on the videos talks about the two upper tranny bolts being a huge pain to remove while still in the vehicle.

Any advice is welcome. I hope I'm on the right Forum for this question. If not, let me know.

View attachment 210147

View attachment 210148
If you want a block, rotating assembly and head that needs to be rebuilt come down to San Diego and I will give you one. Find a machine shop you trust to do the machining and order the rebuild kit yourself or have the machine shop order and install.

Reactions: matkal