Should I run 2.5" springs up front and 2" springs in the rear?

thekevin

My 03 TJ had spacers that are 1 7/8" or 2" thick on when I bought it and sat very level. I installed a winch plate and winch on the front bumper and now it's sagging a lot. I am looking at a set of 2" RE springs to replace my spacers but my question is should I do 2.5" up front and 2" in the back to counter the extra weight.

IMG_0114.jpg

To start it is always useful to measure the lift height you have now, stock is 12 in the front and 8 in the back. That way you can get an idea what the new springs will do. Also there is nothing wrong with replacing just the front springs to start. There is no point in doing it all at once.

Absolutely not, this is a terrible idea.

A proper set of springs should not sag with the addition of a winch, a heavy spare, armor, etc.

Run a set of OME 2.5" HD springs, and you'll be just fine and level all around. Maybe a tiny take (I'm talking 1/2" or less) in the back, but that's normal.

The reason most springs (such as the OME 2.5" springs) will have that slightly higher rear, is so when you load your Jeep up with all your gear, your kids, and much more, the back will level out almost perfectly with the front.

Running two different sized springs though, that's not something I'd encourage.

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
Ride height is ride height regardless of whatever lift height the springs say they are. A heavy front and a light rear might need a "taller" spring in the front to account for added weight and provide the desired ride height.

Reactions: rasband and pagrey
I ended up going with 3" BDS springs. I got the fronts on last night and that showed just how much my factory fronts were sagging. Hopefully I will get the rears on tonight.
IMG_0311.jpg
IMG_0312.jpg