Should I stay with the same tire size?

mmcdonald

currently have 35x12.50x15 on my 2005 tj. Ive seen multiple statements about staying with 35's. That said, should I stay with the same tire size or shoud I go to a 17 wheels and still use 35"s. Does increasing wheel size have any effect on my gears or my axles. I am a weekend off roader, Thank you for any info you can share. Mike, Pittsburgh, PA

Only the tire size affect gearing or axles, not the wheel size. The wheel size is only a looks thing. Though the bigger the wheel the less sidewall is left on the tire which decreases how much the tire can flex and conform to offroad obstacles for better offroad traction. Which is why I stick with 15" wheels for my 35x12.50 tires.

And a big welcome to WTF! :)

Welcome !

Tom Hanks Hello GIF

Only the tire size affect gearing or axles, not the wheel size. The wheel size is only a looks thing. Though the bigger the wheel the less sidewall is left on the tire which decreases how much the tire can flex and conform to offroad obstacles for better offroad traction. Which is why I stick with 15" wheels for my 35x12.50 tires.

And a big welcome to WTF! :)
Thank you for the reply. I know the trend is for most going up to 37"s, and I do have plenty of clearance, but I don't think I want to re-gear and / or change out axels as well. Still learning about what is best without overdoing it without a real need.

15" is a good size for 35's. It gives you plenty of sidewall and probably the most popular size. 15" is going to be significantly less money than a 17".

The advantage to a 17" is you can run bigger brakes. Maybe better on road handling? I wouldn't move up to 17" unless going with at 37". Though you shouldn't be running 37's on OEM axles. A Dana 60 is recommended.

Thank you for the reply. I know the trend is for most going up to 37"s, and I do have plenty of clearance, but I don't think I want to re-gear and / or change out axels as well. Still learning about what is best without overdoing it without a real need.
Know up front that neither of your axles are strong enough for 37's. Stay with 35's, your Dana 44 and Dana 30 will live long and happy lives. I'm running f/r Dana 44's that are significantly beefed up but it's literally not possible to make them strong enough for 37's.

If 37’s is the trend in the TJ world, it’s another evidence of trend toward stupid.

15" is a good size for 35's. It gives you plenty of sidewall and probably the most popular size. 15" is going to be significantly less money than a 17".

The advantage to a 17" is you can run bigger brakes. Maybe better on road handling? I wouldn't move up to 17" unless going with at 37". Though you shouldn't be running 37's on OEM axles. A Dana 60 is recommended.
Regarding the brakes, yes to what @suicideking said, but you still may be able to get the Vanco Big Brake kit for the 15in wheels. There's this technical wizard on this site @mrblaine that can help you with that. I would definitely get better brakes if you are running 35s.

Reactions: suicideking