Should my 32RH downshift to pass?

HDRider

TJ Enthusiast
My 2001 has a three speed auto. Should it downshift when I give it all the gas pedal? I always called that the "passing gear".

Can you clarify: does it not downshift and you think it should, or the other way around?

And at what initial speed is it that you’re giving it “all the gas”?

Can you clarify: does it not downshift and you think it should, or the other way around?

And at what initial speed is it that you’re giving it “all the gas”?

It does not downshift. I expect it should.

say 50, 55, 60 or so.

Drop it into 2nd going 60,floor it and see whats left in the way of accelleration for passing somebody. Might answer what you wanna know as far as should it downshift.

There is a cable that controls that- you may want to look into it- kickdown cable is a common term- at some point it should downshift.

As far as when passing people, we basically can only pass parked cars in these so rarely do we really experience a downshift.

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Jim
But yes, it should kickdown into 2nd if you’re in 3rd and not going too fast. Try going around 35 and get it to shift into 3rd. Then mash the gas to the floor, it should shift into 2nd. If it doesn’t, tell that dude who rebuilt it that he needs to finish the job. Maybe a single line item receipt isn’t quite good enough after all. ;)

But it’s most likely the TV cable out of adjustment. If it shifts normally the rest of the time it could actually be the cable. I had to replace mine for this reason.

Same here if I’m cruising around 70 and step on it to pass it won’t down shift to 2nd. It’ll come out of lock up. But why are you in the passing lane is what the last officer said lmfao

OK, I get the joke now.

I did as @hear suggested. I pressed the gas at about 35, it downshifted into 2nd, revved to about 3200 RPM and 55 mph and shifted back into third.

I have never operated at these power levels before.

At 50-60 I wouldn’t expect a 3 speed to downshift, that speed is probably the top end of the rpm range for 2nd gear. At 30-40 I would expect it to downshift.

Reactions: hear
077296F9-1D03-4D6B-89C0-BDD54704FF05.jpeg