Show me your custom light installs?

Neil Sears

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I know some may feel Halo’s and round rear LCD’s are now “2000 and late” but I’m not in that camp.

I would love to see all you custom or modified installs. Even the ones that are not quite there yet.

From Oracle halo rings, to JK light relocations (either turn signal or fog lights) to huge round trailer lights, to multi function set ups (halos that are also turn signals). Basically anything you want.

Also it would be great to hear some of your long term reviews.

I don’t have a complete roadmap of what I want to do but here is my basic idea.

1. JK turn signals relocated to the grill.

2. Daytime front halo (all in one or rings) lights with a on/off rocker switch in cab.

3. Not ugly round LCD taillights.

4. Maybe fog lights for my Warn front bumper?

5. Maybe A Pillar lights?

6. Maybe full windshield bar?

7. Maybe a round tire mount third brake light?

8. Maybe a bright auxiliary back up light?

Thanks in advance 👍

IMG_7883.jpeg

IMG_7882.jpeg

IMG_7880.jpeg

IMG_7879.jpeg

IMG_7878.jpeg

Here is my current light set up. I had a Rugged Ridge ring of fire 3rd brake light and didn't like it (my opinion).

Brake Lights:
My main brake lights are now the MaxBilt Trail Tail LED's. The ORO ones in the pictures had LED's going out and I couldn't get any response from them so Extreme Terrain swapped them for the MaxBilt (bought the ORO's from ET). The lights are very bright (brighter than the ORO's). The picture is from ET's website as I don't have a picture of them handy.

5.jpg

Third Brake Light:
My 3rd brake light is a Feniex Fusion-S set to "brake pop" flash pattern with their single angle mount. It flashes once after hitting the brakes and then goes full bright. It is VERY bright. It is wired to an automotive style 2-wire plug so I can take the tire carrier off if needed. I have Feniex lights as my emergency lights (VFD) in the Jeep, my Silverado, and my wife's Equinox and love them.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Front Bumper & Headlights:
The front bumper has 2x Rough Country flood lights that are flush mounted into the bumper. The pods on the top of the winch bar is RC spot lights. These are wired to individual OEM switches in the cab with aftermarket rockers (pictured). The switches give me the OEM look and back lighting without having the same logo.

My headlights are the LED's from Amazon below. They are bright by themselves and do a great job on the rural roads where I live.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BJF3LR9N/?tag=wranglerorg-20

1.jpg

20240402_210342.jpg

Rear Bumper:
The rear bumper has RC flood lights that are wired to come on with the reverse lights. I don't have any issues seeing backing up at night or anyone seeing the back up lights during the day.

4.jpg

Reactions: Neil Sears
When it comes to lights I want modern performance with a period correct look. 100% happy with where I am..

LED rock lights are out of sight.

Holley RetroBrite LED Headlights & Hella 500FF H3 aux lights

2024-05-12 TJ Hella Lights 09.jpg

BMB LEDS tails, LED aux lights under bumper & LED button 3rd brake lights
2024-03-03 TJ BMB LED tail lights 08.jpg

Basket mounted LED work lights & LED strip 3rd brake light
2024-05-01 Peconic ON D1 24.jpg

This is just the exterior lights. All are controlled by the Auxbeam 8 gang panel installed in a custom 3D printed panel in the center stack. In addition, there is an LED aux light illuminating the InstaTrunk cargo area. Another illuminating the tailgate table. Both are on a tailgate mounted pin switch with an over-ride button. Interior LED strips under the door threshold illuminating the dead spot beside the seats. LED retractable work light under the hood. I think that's it.

In addition, there is an LED aux light illuminating the InstaTrunk cargo area. Another illuminating the tailgate table. Both are on a tailgate mounted pin switch with an over-ride button. Interior LED strips under the door threshold illuminating the dead spot beside the seats. LED retractable work light under the hood. I think that's it.
Can you send me a couple pictures of these lights? I've been wanting to add a strip light in my insta trunk and under the dash in place of the factory footwell lights.

Can you send me a couple pictures of these lights? I've been wanting to add a strip light in my insta trunk and under the dash in place of the factory footwell lights.

Sure can.. the tailgate lights are marketed as rock light pods. One under the basket and one under the InstaTrunk. You can see the pin switch just left of the top hinge and just below and left, in the exposed harness, is the over-ride switch. Was originally going to use two pods under the InstaTrunk but that proved to be far more light than I needed. One center mounted is fine. These are the pods I used. Here's how they perform..
IMG_0588.jpeg

Hindsight.. the LED strops would have been fine for under the InstaTrunk and easier to install.

I leave the tailgate open most of the time when I am camping but obviously don't need the lights on all the time. There is multi pin connector that powers all the LEDs on the basket. I remove the basket when not camping and tuck the end of the harness by the roll bar base.

Better pic of both switches and the harness and connector. Harness gets attached to the tire carrier frame with a velcro strap not shown here.
2023-09-17 AmericanOutlaw Tailgate Keeper 10.jpg

There is a separate harness that connects to the circuit for the LED button brake lights that are covered when the Trasheroo is on, hence the basket mounted 3rd brake light strip.

I still have the stock footwell lights, but switched to LED bulbs. I'll try to get a pic of the extra lights under the threshold. Kind of hard to get to. I just piggybacked off the footwell lights with a small LED strip. Doesn't take a long strip to light up that small area. I tend to put a lot of stuff temporarily beside the seat when out and about. Used these strips.

And the aux reverse lights.
2023-0722 TJ Cargo Lights 08.jpg

This was before I switched to the BMB tail lights. The Trail Tails had token reverse lights, that were utterly useless for reversing or lighting up camp. The BMB reverse lights are better, but I still need more light when reversing and when setting up camp. The basket mounted lights are on a separate switch and stay on the basket. The lower lights have their own switch and are switched on manually. Either set alone are wicked bright and together.. no issues reversing.

Sure can.. the tailgate lights are marketed as rock light pods. One under the basket and one under the InstaTrunk. You can see the pin switch just left of the top hinge and just below and left, in the exposed harness, is the over-ride switch. Was originally going to use two pods under the InstaTrunk but that proved to be far more light than I needed. One center mounted is fine. These are the pods I used. Here's how they perform..
View attachment 532755
Hindsight.. the LED strops would have been fine for under the InstaTrunk and easier to install.

I leave the tailgate open most of the time when I am camping but obviously don't need the lights on all the time. There is multi pin connector that powers all the LEDs on the basket. I remove the basket when not camping and tuck the end of the harness by the roll bar base.

Better pic of both switches and the harness and connector. Harness gets attached to the tire carrier frame with a velcro strap not shown here.
View attachment 532757

There is a separate harness that connects to the circuit for the LED button brake lights that are covered when the Trasheroo is on, hence the basket mounted 3rd brake light strip.

I still have the stock footwell lights, but switched to LED bulbs. I'll try to get a pic of the extra lights under the threshold. Kind of hard to get to. I just piggybacked off the footwell lights with a small LED strip. Doesn't take a long strip to light up that small area. I tend to put a lot of stuff temporarily beside the seat when out and about. Used these strips.

View attachment 532760

This was before I switched to the BMB tail lights. The Trail Tails had token reverse lights, that were utterly useless for reversing or lighting up camp. The BMB reverse lights are better, but I still need more light when reversing and when setting up camp. The basket mounted lights are on a separate switch and stay on the basket. The lower lights have their own switch and are switched on manually. Either set alone are wicked bright and together.. no issues reversing.
Looks good!

What switch is that on the tailgate flange to turn the trunk lights on when the door opens?

Here is my current light set up. I had a Rugged Ridge ring of fire 3rd brake light and didn't like it (my opinion).

Brake Lights:
My main brake lights are now the MaxBilt Trail Tail LED's. The ORO ones in the pictures had LED's going out and I couldn't get any response from them so Extreme Terrain swapped them for the MaxBilt (bought the ORO's from ET). The lights are very bright (brighter than the ORO's). The picture is from ET's website as I don't have a picture of them handy.

View attachment 532712

Third Brake Light:
My 3rd brake light is a Feniex Fusion-S set to "brake pop" flash pattern with their single angle mount. It flashes once after hitting the brakes and then goes full bright. It is VERY bright. It is wired to an automotive style 2-wire plug so I can take the tire carrier off if needed. I have Feniex lights as my emergency lights (VFD) in the Jeep, my Silverado, and my wife's Equinox and love them.

View attachment 532709
View attachment 532710
View attachment 532711

Front Bumper & Headlights:
The front bumper has 2x Rough Country flood lights that are flush mounted into the bumper. The pods on the top of the winch bar is RC spot lights. These are wired to individual OEM switches in the cab with aftermarket rockers (pictured). The switches give me the OEM look and back lighting without having the same logo.

My headlights are the LED's from Amazon below. They are bright by themselves and do a great job on the rural roads where I live.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BJF3LR9N/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 532708
View attachment 532713

Rear Bumper:
The rear bumper has RC flood lights that are wired to come on with the reverse lights. I don't have any issues seeing backing up at night or anyone seeing the back up lights during the day.

View attachment 532711

Well done!

Can you tell me more about the rocker switch housing. Is it a commercial product or a 3D printed item?

When it comes to lights I want modern performance with a period correct look. 100% happy with where I am..

LED rock lights are out of sight.

Holley RetroBrite LED Headlights & Hella 500FF H3 aux lights

View attachment 532718

BMB LEDS tails, LED aux lights under bumper & LED button 3rd brake lights
View attachment 532722

Basket mounted LED work lights & LED strip 3rd brake light
View attachment 532724

This is just the exterior lights. All are controlled by the Auxbeam 8 gang panel installed in a custom 3D printed panel in the center stack. In addition, there is an LED aux light illuminating the InstaTrunk cargo area. Another illuminating the tailgate table. Both are on a tailgate mounted pin switch with an over-ride button. Interior LED strips under the door threshold illuminating the dead spot beside the seats. LED retractable work light under the hood. I think that's it.

Great job.

Can you tell me more about the 3D printed panel?

I’ll hop in since I had a unique solution to turn signal relocation. Trucker lights designed for grommets but I epoxied them to a short length of aluminum angle and fastened to my MCE fenders. Simple, cheap, easy, functional, and I like the look.

View attachment 532734

View attachment 532738

Simple, cheap, easy, functional, and I like the look too!

View attachment 532755

View attachment 532757

View attachment 532760

Really a great job all around.

Reactions: MikekiM
Really a great job all around.

Thank you sir.

I am shocked, and candidly quite disappointed that none of you noticed I had the driver side BMB tail installed upside down. I had them apart just prior to that camping trip and installed the lens inverted. Been like that since May 1st, and I hadn't noticed until just now. Just went out and fixed it, but actually, I kind of like it like that.

2024-05-01-peconic-on-d1-24-jpg.jpg

Thank you sir.

I am shocked, and candidly quite disappointed that none of you noticed I had the driver side BMB tail installed upside down. I had them apart just prior to that camping trip and installed the lens inverted. Been like that since May 1st, and I hadn't noticed until just now. Just went out and fixed it, but actually, I kind of like it like that.

View attachment 532771

Do you have a gallery page detailing the rest of you build with pictures?

Great job.

Can you tell me more about the 3D printed panel?

Quite a job actually. I had originally made a double switch panel using the stock switch panel and ash try delete. Came out great but once I started to tackle the wiring, the multitude of relays and wires proved to be more than I wanted to take on. @jscherb turned me on to the Auxbeam switch panel and that has proven to be a game changer. I had it mounted on the lower center console just above the passenger airbag module but it looked like an afterthought. Stumbled across a merchant that would do custom work. Took a bit to decide on how I wanted it laid out but in the end, it's far better for my needs...

2023-10-29 Transfer Case Shifter 41.jpg
2023-10-29 Transfer Case Shifter 40.jpg

Custom fit for the Auxbeam panel. The four items to the right are, clockwise from the top right, power switch that controls only the three remaining devices and candidly is really just a place-holder should I decide to add something else. No real need for a power switch there. Can't lie, I love to fiddle around with switches. Then a dual usb port, one USB A and one USB C with a digital voltage display (also kind of redundant considering I have a voltage meter mounted in the lower console). Bottom left is a standard 12v cig lighter that will ultimately be replaced. Installed that prior to getting a Jackery and used to plug a 12v inverter in that. And top left is a RJ45 for the Midland MXT 275 GMRS handset.

Do you have a gallery page detailing the rest of you build with pictures?

Unfortunately, I do not. I track my build in Apple Notes and in Evernote. By the time I decided it might be beneficial to have it here as well, I was two years into it. Plus it's saved with offline access so I can access and update while disconnected. I love being disconnected. Lots of pictures in my forum images in my profile.

One shortcoming for our great forum is being able to create albums in the images section. I would find that a tremendous benefit. we are uploading images here anyway, why not have a way to organize them so we don't have to upload the same images repeatedly as so many of us do.

Unfortunately, I do not. I track my build in Apple Notes and in Evernote. By the time I decided it might be beneficial to have it here as well, I was two years into it. Plus it's saved with offline access so I can access and update while disconnected. I love being disconnected.

I lookup your profile and just scrolled through your 22 pages of images.

Nice rig 👍