Side markers don't work correctly

Ebo

Hello all, I have been at this for a year. I have fixed a ton of issues but my turn signals elude me. LED relay, new rear tail lights, 2 multifunction switches, I have cleaned every ground I can find. As of now I noticed the side markers are missing bulbs. When I turn on the indicator I get a solid arrow on the dash and no response from the tail lights and front markers. Can the missing side marker bulbs cause this issue? I am pretty much thinking it has to be this or a ground on the back of the cluster at this point. If the missing side marker bulbs are the issue can I just connect the wires completing the circuit?

Last edited:
Do you have halogen or LED front bulbs? They may work with LEDs by themselves, but adding sidemarker bulbs can mess with them.

The sidemarker bulbs ground through the remaining filament in the front fender signal bulbs. (Not a normal setup.)

For it to work factory, you will need incandescent/halogen front fender bulbs, and often incandescent/halogen bulbs in the sidemarkers.

If you want LEDs in both locations, you'll need to convert the sidemarkers from a 2-wire setup to a 3-wire setup. (You need to give it an independent ground.)

Here's a crappy guide to a 3 wire conversion:

15527953919295148763026593325718.jpg

The diodes are required for both stock wires. The purpose of the resistor is to dim the bulb at the low setting. Get a kit of 1 watt resistors and play around with the resistance to get the low brightness that works best for the running lights. Note that load resistors are not required. The inline resistor actually reduces the power consumed, unlike a load resistor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Man! that helps a ton. I had a bunch of issues so it was hard to pin point. I fixed almost everything else and decided to take a look today because the weather was nice. I will replace those bulbs tomorrow and give it a go.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Do you have halogen or LED front bulbs? They may work with LEDs by themselves, but adding sidemarker bulbs can mess with them.

The sidemarker bulbs ground through the remaining filament in the front fender signal bulbs. (Not a normal setup.)

For it to work factory, you will need incandescent/halogen front fender bulbs, and often incandescent/halogen bulbs in the sidemarkers.

If you want LEDs in both locations, you'll need to convert the sidemarkers from a 2-wire setup to a 3-wire setup. (You need to give it an independent ground.)

Here's a crappy guide to a 3 wire conversion:

View attachment 140511
The diodes are required for both stock wires. The purpose of the resistor is to dim the bulb at the low setting. Get a kit of 1 watt resistors and play around with the resistance to get the low brightness that works best for the running lights. Note that load resistors are not required. The inline resistor actually reduces the power consumed, unlike a load resistor.
I went back today and found a short in the side marker socket. I replaced the socket and changed the side markers and front turn signals to incadescent bulbs. I have power to all four corners now. Once I made this change I still have no hazards or blinkers. No arrows on the dash either. I tried an OEM relay with no luck. I may replace the LED relay that sin there. I currently have LED taillights. MFS is new, harness replaced. Still stumped!

You will need the LED relay for the LED taillights. You'll need a Novita LM470 for 01-06 or an EP26 for 97-00 TJ.

Did you use a taillight kit or insert individual bulbs?

It has an LED tail light kit. I am going to try the relay next. I had an EP27 in there. The Jeep is a 2002. When I reinstalled the EP27 after trying the new relay at the parts store I did notice there was no audible click upon plugging in the EP27. I know the new OEM relay was good, I am suspecting the relay I have is bad.