Signal hyper flash with conventional bulbs?

jrmcafee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have seen several posts and videos describing the led bulb hyper flash issue and the column relay fix. I don’t think my problem is the same issue, but looking for the forum to validate.

Backstory:
I had a passenger brake light out causing a hyper flash sequence on just the passenger side so I bought an OEM replacement pair of filament bulbs and replaced both sides to keep everything balanced. When I cranked to check that both sides were working, I ended up with a hyper flash on the driver side. All of the bulbs work but the hyper flash persists on the driver side.

Is there any other explanation besides the relay? Seems odd for the hyper flash to be resolved on the passenger side after the bulb is replaced, but start after the replacement on the driver side. Thoughts?

I'd pull and clean all the bulbs and sockets on the side you are having trouble with. High resistance will cause this. You could compare brightness, that might help you find a weak connection. That's where I'd start.

Reactions: Daryl
I'd pull and clean all the bulbs and sockets on the side you are having trouble with. High resistance will cause this. You could compare brightness, that might help you find a weak connection. That's where I'd start.

I did notice the passenger side taillight housing looked brand new and the driver side housing looked like moisture had breached it at some point. I will either do some cleanup or I'll replace the lens/housing entirely.