Silverstar head lights suck

89grand

TJ Addict
Now, I know this is not news to many here, but I don't drive a ton at night, and I live in the city, so I've never been extremely picky about light output. Well about 4 months ago I stupidly installed some Silverstars, and while they looked better than the stock lights, which isn't saying much, they had a somewhat odd light pattern, but I could have lived with it. Anyway, I drove the Jeep to the store last night and I thought the lights looked different. When I get home, I check, and the damn passenger light low beam is already burned out. I don't drive a lot at night so these probably didn't even have 20-30 hours of use.

I went ahead and ordered some Hella Vision Plus nights. I know there are probably better options, but I prefer a stock looking head light, and at least you can swap bulbs if you want and not replace the whole light assembly.

I bought a set of silver star bulbs many years ago and I couldn't see what their hype (at the time) was all about. I'm the same way with a stock looking headlight, so I'm still cruising the originals. I did recently discover the 7" round headlights by Grote. I've tried digging around to find some pictures or videos with their use, but only found one video on YouTube. However, I will say that the one video was extremely impressive. Not quite enough to help me understand the cost of them though. They're pricey, but I really like the look, compared to other LED options.

I'm going to check out the Hella lights you mentioned. How have those been for you?

90941-5.jpg

The H4 conversion should work a lot better than the sealed beams. Not sure about the model you ordered, but I (and most others who don't like LED) use the Hella e-code version which is far superior to stock.

And yes the Silverstars are terrible and burn out quickly. I use the xtra vision which have good output and service life.

Reactions: JMT and bedhed
@WDE I was searching to find the difference/s between the two, and came across this write-up.
https://www.rallylights.com/vision-plus-vs-ece
They mentioned what sounds to be a pretty substantial cutoff line with the e-code's upward light dispersion. They make the Hella lights sound as if their higher spread could be a problem for oncoming traffic. How would you compare the e-code's cutoff to our factory housings?

How would you compare the e-code's cutoff to our factory housings?

I have Cibié e-code H4 housings and they definitely have a very sharp upper cutoff with a rise to the right to prevent blinding oncoming drivers (given proper alignment of course). The factory headlights are DOT and scatter light without a sharp upper cutoff. The factory headlights can get away with this because the sealed beams are so dim it doesn't matter.

I got the headlights installed, aimed pretty good and WOW, so much better than stock. It's one of those mods that you wonder why you never did sooner. Even with the stock bulbs, the difference is dramatic, and you don't even blind on coming traffic, or so I figure by driving in the neighborhood and seeing that the lights didn't light up cars interiors on the left side of the road. They aren't even much more than standard shitty headlights.

Reactions: bedhed
@WDE I was searching to find the difference/s between the two, and came across this write-up.
https://www.rallylights.com/vision-plus-vs-ece
They mentioned what sounds to be a pretty substantial cutoff line with the e-code's upward light dispersion. They make the Hella lights sound as if their higher spread could be a problem for oncoming traffic. How would you compare the e-code's cutoff to our factory housings?

To be honest, I only remember the stock sealed beams were dim and utterly pathetic. I can't comment about the stock cutoff because I immediately changed to Hella E-code housings. The H4 halogen bulbs put out more than enough light and in the right places. I don't ever get flashed on low beam. I will use the KC Highliters for a little more lighting punch waaaay down the road when there is no other traffic. I have no desire or need to switch to LED.

DOT compliance might be an issue if your state has strict vehicle inspections, Alabama does not.

Your article actually says the E codes are better than the DOT version. : "The effect is that the Euro lights actually put more light on the road for you to drive with, and offend oncoming traffic MUCH LESS because of the sharp cutoff in the lighting pattern."

Ok cool. The DOT aspect isn't a worry here either. When I read the part about them having a cutoff, the first thing I pictured was a fairly prominent cutoff something like you'd see with projector headlights, like what @L J mentioned. This is all good to know. I definitely like the look and price of both over the mysteriously expensive Grote headlights.

Last edited:
And those would just be plug and play?
Ya they are exactly the same shape as the bulbs you just put in except the back is bigger. You could even call HR and tell them the housings you have. They might have a specific bulb that works better with it. Sounds like the halogens are working great but if you ever want more they are a good place to start.

The link sent me to a "blocked" pop-up. Not sure what's happening there. I did search for them though. I like those. Thanks for that info!

Going to check out those bulbs too, pagrey.
This site gives me the blocked message when trying to follow links, too. Only on my android.

This site gives me the blocked message when trying to follow links, too. Only on my android.
I wonder why that is happening? Anyway, probably just search:

"HELLA 002395801 Vision Plus 165mm 12V High/Low Beam Halogen Conversion Headlamp Kit (H4 ECE) "

Reactions: JMT