Skid paint, what works, what don't?

GASnBRASS

TJ Enthusiast
What skid paints/brands have you found to hold up reasonably well but easy to touch up with a brush or spray can after rock rash?

I've thought about:
2K epoxies (fumes and mixing hassles)
moisture cure urethanes (fumes and fussy about surface prep)
powdercoating (not exactly diy)

I was thinking of an anti corrosion zinc phosphate primer (not carcinogenic zinc chromate) topped with a high solids brushed enamel?

And I'm sure someone will chime in with "go aluminum" well it's too late for that, not in the budget.

Reactions: Wildman
I use Rust-Oleum semi gloss professional in the quart can. You can brush it on and the can lasts forever. Aluminum is for cans, don't feel bad. Can can.

• Face Palm
Reactions: L J
I use Rust-Oleum semi gloss professional in the quart can. You can brush it on and the can lasts forever. Aluminum is for cans, don't feel bad. Can can.
Do you use any kind of primer or self etch primer, or just slap it on bare steel and go?

I don't use primer. I do prep very carefully. I don't live in the rust belt. I saw a bleepin Jeep video where they tested paint and primer didn't do shit so I don't use it. Do what works for you, it isn't expensive to try a few methods. Don't powder coat if you wheel.