Skid plate question

Ted

TJ Enthusiast
So my skid just got here. It isnt pre drilled for a tranny mount. I was thinking of jacking up the tranny then mounting the plate. Then lower the tranny and mark where the holes need to be.

Is this going to get me close enough or do I need to do something different?

skid.jpg

Can you use the OE skidplate as a template for the transmission bolt holes? But to answer your question, certainly you could do as you described as well.

Not much room to get your hand in there with a marker, but it's worth a shot. If your old skid wasn't so fubbard, I'd suggest to mate old skid to your new skid via the mount holes and drop a plumb bob down each of the 4 holes and mark.

Goop up the bottom of the tranny mount bolts with wet paint and quick insert 3-4 bolts through the new skid plate into the frame. Quick jack the skid plate up against the tranny mount bolts with their wet paint and lower it back down. Odds are good you'll be able to see where to drill the holes where the paint left its outline.

Slightly oblong/slotted holes would be best.

Goop up the bottom of the tranny mount bolts with wet paint and quick insert 3-4 bolts through the new skid plate into the frame. Quick jack the skid plate up against the tranny mount bolts with their wet paint and lower it back down. Odds are good you'll be able to see where to drill the holes where the paint left its outline.

Slightly oblong/slotted holes would be best.

I'll give your way a shot first. First I'm going to install a body lift them a motor mount lift and then work on the slid. I will coat in in Por 15 first thing when I get to the shop and let it be drying while I do the rest. The whatever I coat the bolts with will probably mark better.