Skid Plate Restoration

kinger402

My cat back exhaust is pretty rusted, so taking the opportunity to restore the and clean up the skid plate while its dropped on a new to me 03 wrangler.

I noticed one bolt missing from the transmission mount. so I will replace that while its out.I will also wire brush the skid plate and frame. My plan is to hit both the skid plate and the frame with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Wait 24 hours, and then hit it with Rustoleum Stops Rust Black (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009X8LPE/?tag=wranglerorg-20)
Once everything is dried, my last step would be to apply some fluid film. Any issues with this approach?

Also here is the skid plate, is this the normal shape? or did the prev owner hit it on something? It looks like the normal shape in some way to clear the catalytic converter?

IMG_9315.png

IMG_9316.png

If that's the front passenger-side edge in the first picture, it definitely looks like it's been bent back by something.

Reactions: GPK03X
Also here is the skid plate, is this the normal shape? or did the prev owner hit it on something? It looks like the normal shape in some way to clear the catalytic converter?

It's bent, but does not cause any structural issues. Bend it back if you like, but that's some thick metal, so it's going to take some force to do so.

I noticed one bolt missing from the transmission mount. so I will replace that while its out.I will also wire brush the skid plate and frame. My plan is to hit both the skid plate and the frame with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Wait 24 hours, and then hit it with Rustoleum Stops Rust Black (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009X8LPE/?tag=wranglerorg-20)
Once everything is dried, my last step would be to apply some fluid film. Any issues with this approach?

That seems fine, but I think I would add in a layer of primer between the reformer and paint coat. I like Rustoleum's rusty metal primer.

Reactions: joelachr