Skid Plate Woes

Hopper

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Had to take my skid plate off again today. I absolutely hate it. Comes off fine but once I get the trans mount bolts loosely on and the 3- 3/4's on loosely on one side the other side never lines up. It's involves, ratchet straps, prying and cussing to get on right. Even then a few bolts are right up against the hole making hard as hell to get in. Anytime I need to drop the skid I put it off till I'm in a more motivated mood.
Is this just normal? Is there a better way? Can I make those skid holes bigger or buy a skid that I can place my own holes to match?
I did get Saftey Caps welded in and maybe just maybe one side is of a bit.

I agree it's probably slightly out of wack. Anyone got a suggestion? Would making the 3 holes on the skid bigger hurt anything

I agree it's probably slightly out of wack. Anyone got a suggestion? Would making the 3 holes on the skid bigger hurt anything
It won't hurt anything. Just go up in increments, until you get a size that works. If needed, you can always add a larger washer, but would need to keep your eye on how much thread you have engaged.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and Hopper
I lift the transmission mount clear of the skid, thread all six skid bolts and then drop the transmission onto the skid. For my Jeep it is easier to move the engine/trans than mess with the skid. I don't know what your clearances are like.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Had the same problem. My skid plate was tweaked, some pressure on it in the right places got it back close. Goes on with minimal effort now.

Not at all. Mine is a ‘97 so the stock skid was stamped with essentially a countersink and the bolts are tapered. Not sure if all skids are like that or not. The clamping force is the more or less the same if you slot the hole or marginally enlarge it so no harm there

Reactions: Hopper
Had to take my skid plate off again today. I absolutely hate it. Comes off fine but once I get the trans mount bolts loosely on and the 3- 3/4's on loosely on one side the other side never lines up. It's involves, ratchet straps, prying and cussing to get on right. Even then a few bolts are right up against the hole making hard as hell to get in. Anytime I need to drop the skid I put it off till I'm in a more motivated mood.
Is this just normal? Is there a better way? Can I make those skid holes bigger or buy a skid that I can place my own holes to match?
I did get Saftey Caps welded in and maybe just maybe one side is of a bit.
I always have the same problem,I just have to stick a punch in the hole and pry a little,but I did it this time to replace a trans mount and the mount is SHOT so I might be in for the ratchet strap crap now!

My skid is bowed just a bit in the middle from wheeling. I could get it close but one bolt would not line up.

What worked for me was getting 4 longer bolts for the frame that match the nutsert thread pitch that were about 4 inches long. Metric in my case for an 05. Unbolt the transmission mount and support the trans/tcase. One of the longer bolts at each corner and using them as setup guides if you will. Basically it allowed me move my skid up, down, side enough while hanging from these longer bolts get these 4 longer corner bolts threaded. I then jacked skid up and it slid right into place. I just removed the longer bolts one by replacing each with the stock bolts as they were removed.

It was a process but worked for my dented factory skid.

Last edited:
Hmm that gives me an idea...wonder if I can find threaded rod in the right pitch...cut some lengths so I can raise/lower the whole skid. Hmm...

-Mac

Making the holes bigger shouldn't be a problem but I'd do all six because making six holes a little bigger has to be better than making all three on one side alot bigger. Using something like a Dremel tool and grinding to make them longer would also be better than just drilling and removing metal all the way around each hole.

Reactions: Irun