Skinned knuckle build

While I had the radiator off I installed the new water pump, thermostat housing, and hoses I bought last year and never installed.

On my first attempt I did not use rtv on the thermostat housing and it leaked as soon as the coolant reached that level. So I pulled it all off again and installed with rtv and let sit overnight before I added coolant.

Test drive this morning and it’s completely leak free.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
  • Rebuild steering ✅
  • Rebuild suspension ✅
  • Rebuild brakes ✅
  • 2.5” suspension lift ✅
  • 33” tires ✅
  • Investigate and fix engine noise ✅
  • Investigate and fix poor shifting ✅
  • Investigate and fix inoperable transfer case ✅
  • Investigate and fix inoperable e-brake ✅
  • Fix broken brake lights and turn signals ✅
  • Repair front seats - foam and vinyl ✅
  • Replace seat belts ✅
  • Investigate and fix AC and heating ✅
  • Investigate and fix driving lights
  • Tailgate spare wheel solution ✅
  • Repaint fenders ✅
  • Thinking about re-spray and clear coat
  • Helicoil stripped threads in timing chain cover ✅
  • 1.25” body lift
  • Re-key all lock boxes.

Last edited:
Reactions: lowranger
I also finished the spare wheel mount for my 33” spare. I’m using a cheap bracket off Amazon and 3 HF rubber Mallet heads, and pvc tube extensions for the 3rd brake light bracket.

1E4B520B-3286-4CA2-ADC7-E7C4167895AB.jpeg

Finally re-keyed all my lock boxes today! Tuffy sent me the barrel lock for my Center console keyed to same code as my glove box and under seat drawer for a very affordable price. Tuffy are a great company to work with and the customer service was first class.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I also finished the spare wheel mount for my 33” spare. I’m using a cheap bracket off Amazon and 3 HF rubber Mallet heads, and pvc tube extensions for the 3rd brake light bracket.

View attachment 174894

What is the bracket you are using?

I just mounted my 33" spare and it doesn't hit the OEM rubber bumpers, so I'm assuming I need longer bumpers to meet the backspacing and tire width of the new setup. I raised the 3rd brake light with some washers but it could still go up some more.

What is the bracket you are using?

I just mounted my 33" spare and it doesn't hit the OEM rubber bumpers, so I'm assuming I need longer bumpers to meet the backspacing and tire width of the new setup. I raised the 3rd brake light with some washers but it could still go up some more.

EAG Tire Relocation Bracket Fit... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7RWT37/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Rubber mallet heads for the bumpers.

PVC pipe to raise the brake light.

Reactions: rdu-jeep
Oh I see, you pushed your spare out even further — I'd like to bring mine in, but I don't see how that's possible with the stock carrier so I'll do the rubber mallets or use hockey pucks.

I had to move it up because it hit the stock bumper and the bracket pushed it out as well.

Just got caught up on your build, nice job working your way through everything. You mentioned you had some noise coming from your soft top where it flaps against the speaker bar. I have a Besttop Trektop NX, had a similar problem, I put a black bath cloth folded double up there along the back edge and it went away. The top just needs something softer than the speaker bar to hit to make the noise go away.

Just got caught up on your build, nice job working your way through everything. You mentioned you had some noise coming from your soft top where it flaps against the speaker bar. I have a Besttop Trektop NX, had a similar problem, I put a black bath cloth folded double up there along the back edge and it went away. The top just needs something softer than the speaker bar to hit to make the noise go away.
Thanks and that’s a good idea. I have been using a piece of foam until I found a permanent solution. I was thinking about putting the factory soft top cross bar back in, maybe have to fabricate some brackets.

Reactions: WesRJ86