Skinnies / pizza cutters

The lack of available 16" options in the US is interesting, as many of the tyres are manufactured. In the UK there is much more choice in 16" than 15". For example, I have Falken Wildpeak MT01s in 285/75/16 load range C, in the US that tyre in that size is only available in load range E.

Edit: I have just checked and it is also available in 235/85 r16 here, as are MT tyres from Maxxis, Cooper, Toyo, Goodyear, General and BFG. All look to be load range C.

Last edited:
Well... I found THE tires... 33x9.5r15. Check these babies out!

View attachment 352697

You can get them at Walmart for a pretty good price too! I'm sure it'll go down by the time I go to buy them... hopefully.

View attachment 352698
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kenda-Kl...Load-C-6-Ply-RT-Rugged-Terrain-Tire/524149349

Some of the guys on Ih8MUD have been raving about them: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fy...w-size-on-the-way-33x9-50r15lt.1248468/page-2

@Inline.TJ did you pull the trigger on these? 🤓

I wish somebody made a decent MT option in something like a 35x11.5 or 35x10.5. Everything close I find is an AT, an E rated metric, or an Interco.

Reactions: srimes
I wish somebody made a decent MT option in something like a 35x11.5 or 35x10.5. Everything close I find is an AT, an E rated metric, or an Interco.

I'm debating between a 32x11.5 and these 33x9.5, kinda splitting hairs but I'm keeping the TJ "simple" after reading many posts about people wishing they kept their Jeeps mild. 4.10s feel a little short on my 31s I bet they'll be perfect on 32s fwiw.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
I'm debating between a 32x11.5 and these 33x9.5, kinda splitting hairs but I'm keeping the TJ "simple" after reading many posts about people wishing they kept their Jeeps mild. 4.10s feel a little short on my 31s I bet they'll be perfect on 32s fwiw.

I can relate. I think LJ's look goofy with anything less than 35's so that drove me to where I'm at, but I have to go after decently difficult trails just to match the thrill I got wheeling 32s on some of the lesser maintained forest roads.

Reactions: Vtx531
I can relate. I think LJ's look goofy with anything less than 35's so that drove me to where I'm at, but I have to go after decently difficult trails just to match the thrill I got wheeling 32s on some of the lesser maintained forest roads.

TBH gearing and having open diffs have been the biggest limiting factor so far. Going up stuff like MSV and Kelly Flats are a cakewalk but Red Elephant Hill required a little more thought but it was a lot of fun. I went wheeling with another from our club that's a JLUR on 37s and got him wondering "WTF, maybe I don't need such big tires and lift".

33x9.50.

Do it.

I do really like the aesthetic of the skinnies.

the 33x9.50 will still be good on the 4.10's

Especially after having 3.07's. I owned a YJ with 3,07 long ago. not the greatest off road. You'll have a nice mannered trail rig. That will drive on the street well.

• Love
Reactions: Inline.TJ
Also, depending on the miles the 8.8 limited slip had. I believe the LSD is rebuildable, if you feel like freshening it up before install. It would make it's performance tighter.

A quick google research showed Yukon and several other sources have clutches for a reasonable price.

Reactions: John Cooper

i'm running the Trail Grappler in 35x11.5x17 load C softies.. happy so far but have yet to get them on the trail.

i'm running the Trail Grappler in 35x11.5x17 load C softies.. happy so far but have yet to get them on the trail.

I'll be interested to see how you end up liking them. I'm running 15's so I'd need new wheels to run those.

I also wonder about this rib that runs around the shoulder...seems like a lot of tire manufacturers do that to varying degrees and I don't know why. It looks like it would be stiff and impair the function of the side lugs but I don't know if that's how it ends up working in reality, and for all I know it does something that actually helps.

1663363841239.png

Reactions: John Cooper
the 33x9.50 will still be good on the 4.10's

Especially after having 3.07's. I owned a YJ with 3,07 long ago. not the greatest off road. You'll have a nice mannered trail rig. That will drive on the street well.

3.07s just feel tired on road or trail. 4.10s make it chirp tires just leaving my driveway.

Also, depending on the miles the 8.8 limited slip had. I believe the LSD is rebuildable, if you feel like freshening it up before install. It would make it's performance tighter.

A quick google research showed Yukon and several other sources have clutches for a reasonable price.

I have a rebuild kit sitting in the garage because I didn't know what state it was going to be in. It kinda makes a "wet" squeaking sound going around turns (if that makes sense). I'll probably rebuild it when I do the 4.10s in the front.

Reactions: Cross-Threaded-06TJ

This. I've always wanted to run 34x9.5 or q78 (36x10) swampers but can't really justify something that aggressive. I may do it anyways at some point anyways just because. But a MT makes much more sense.

Reactions: TheBoogieman

35x10.50R15 Kanati Mud Hog M/T. :unsure:
Kanati Tires is American-owned and operated, its tires are manufactured in Indonesia – in an attempt to reduce production costs.

1663395173162.png

Last edited: