Sleeving Dana 44 axle questions

Do I need an outer axle seal after I sleeve the actual housing?

• Delete outer axle seal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cut sleeve to make room for seal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Clint

Okay guys I have a question about sleeving my 05 Dana 44 fromt Axel. I have sleeved three JK's Dana 30s, and on the JK's they don't have an outer axle seal only inner. I know on the TJ's they have an outer and inner axle seal my question is, if I was to purchase a Nitro sleeve kit (gnarled ended) not welded to axle housing.Do I just not include the outer axle seals? Here's a pic of me and my buddies sleeving there JK
Resized952018011395110022.jpg
Resized952018011395112540.jpg

Reactions: KCsTJ
Don't waste your time or $$$ installing inner sleeving. The math shows it doesn't help. Yes I know that sounds bogus and counterintuitive but it's true. Installing even a thin 1/8" external sleeve would be far more beneficial and provide a serious strength enhancement.

Outer seals on a TJ Dana 44/Dana 30 are of no benefit either. There's simply no need which is one reason the factory left it open. Another reason is an aftermarket outer seal on a front Dana 30/Dana 44 can hide a leaking inner seal... not good.

Thank you so much for your reply! I was anticipating a response. I understand what your saying. Well so I can mark off not sleeving my front axle, lol . For an alternative can I truss it?

Thank you so much for your reply! I was anticipating a response. I understand what your saying. Well so I can mark off not sleeving my front axle, lol . For an alternative can I truss it?
While trussing JK axles is common and often needed, it's not needed or beneficial to the TJ's front axles.

Pounded in some nitro axle sleeves while I had everything apart. Maybe not worth the time to install by themselves, but they do provide a small (~35%) benefit in flexural strength.
20200209_164131.jpg

So I figured I might as well. They went in a lot easier than I thought they would based on all the JK videos.

Pounded in some nitro axle sleeves while I had everything apart. Maybe not worth the time to install by themselves, but they do provide a small (~35%) benefit in flexural strength.
Not even that much. An external 1/8" sleeve around the outside of the tubes gives a greater strength increase than internal sleeves do. And either of those might be worth it if we needed that extra strength to run 35" tires. Because even with all that you still couldn't run anything bigger than 35" unless your Jeep is a mall crawler or never does a trail tough enough to require bigger than 35".

At a certain point stronger sleeves are worthless. Once you sleeve it, the weak point generally becomes the casting.
Here's some photos from reddit:
pjZV5lW_d.jpg
D3hKECl_d.jpg
2dRZXSZ_d.jpg
ksAAL2I_d.jpg
kBSvLze_d.jpg

According to the original poster, this axle was sleeved. The weak point in this sleeved axle was the housing itself.

So I wouldn't even bother externally sleeving without a truss.

The main reason I sleeved it is I recently had a scare where I thought I bent the axle. Hit a bump very hard on the right side, enough to change the steering wheel center significantly. (Total toe didn't change. Axle is still straight.) This way I can more quickly rule out a bent axle in the future.

Reactions: Apparition
At a certain point stronger sleeves are worthless. Once you sleeve it, the weak point generally becomes the casting.
View attachment 139332View attachment 139333View attachment 139334View attachment 139335View attachment 139336
According to the original poster, this axle was sleeved. The weak point in this sleeved axle was the housing itself.

The main reason I sleeved it is I recently had a scare where I thought I bent the axle. Hit a bump very hard on the right side, enough to change the steering wheel center significantly. (Total toe didn't change. Axle is still straight.) This way I can more quickly rule out a bent axle in the future.
I’d like to see a video of that

There are some real idiots on the trails. Maybe we need to come up with an offroad driver's license to weed out the idiots who don't have sufficient common sense to avoid doing stupid shit like the above photo shows. Similar to the ricer street racers who get ticketed for >100 mph on a main boulevard because they never thought about the possibility that there might have been a cop anywhere within hearing distance of 7,000 rpms and squealing tires.

Stupidity is far too common but avoidable with even a smidgen of thinking about the consequences of what you're about to do. Right?

View attachment 139332View attachment 139333View attachment 139334View attachment 139335View attachment 139336

It's rare to see IFS on an otherwise stock Jeep. (y)