Slow Build on a 2006 LJ Rubicon

offroadrookie

Supporting Member
Here's my 2006 Rubicon Unlimited (manual).

The Jeep was bought new in Denver I think. The first owner added a 2.5" Old Man Emu lift & 33" x 12.5" Mickey Thompsons on some 15" x 10" Pro Comps, and then parked it at a ski house. It racked up 22,000 miles in 8 years.

The second owner had it for about two years during which time, he sold the OEM hard top (thanks a lot), and added the Warn.

Found it on eBay and figured out it was a local listing based on the photos. I bought it in 2016 with 33,000 miles on it; the odometer flipped 60 yesterday.

Please chime in with build list suggestions as I'm looking to get back on a trail soon. However, I'm not in a rush since it's my daily driver (with a 150 round trip commute on some weeks). Also, my first Wrangler was a yellow 91 YJ with a 2.5 L and 4.11s in the back. It performed really well on the trails here (no rock crawling). I dreamed of an engine swap to a 4.0 L. So, this is kinda like that with lockers, right?

Here's two photos from the listing. 33" x 12.5" Mickey Thompsons on some 15" x 8" Pro Comps.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg

Found out the top leaked in the first sideways rain storm in summer 2016 so I replaced it with a Trektop. I also dropped the tires to 31 BFG K02s on a 15x8 due to the commute.

IMG_4219.jpeg

The OEM spare tire holder broke as did a hinge, so I replaced them with a GR8TOPS Exogate Tailgate. Also felt great to dig my Hi-Lift out of the corner of the garage after 16 years. Also added an LOD Offroad rear bumper to get the receiver hitch and shackle points.

IMG_7705.jpeg

For now most of my off-road action at the moment involves pulling a smoker.

IMG_7639.jpeg

The most essential mods not pictured are security. The first owner had a custom add-a-trunk fabbed up. I added a Tuffy glove box, console, hood latch, and door keepers. Street parking = theft as I learned with my '98 Sport. No bueno.

Thanks for checking out the post. Looking forward to learning from y'all.

Last edited:
My suggestions:

Regear to 4.56 or 4.88 (depending on auto or manual)
Put the 33's back on

Go wheeling.

Here's my 2006 Rubicon Unlimited (manual).

The Jeep was bought new in Denver I think. The first owner added a 2.5" Old Man Emu lift & 33" x 12.5" Mickey Thompsons on some 15" x 10" Pro Comps, and then parked it at a ski house. It racked up 22,000 miles in 8 years.

The second owner had it for about two years during which time, he sold the OEM hard top (thanks a lot), and added the Warn.

Found it on eBay and figured out it was a local listing based on the photos. I bought it in 2016 with 33,000 miles on it; the odometer flipped 60 yesterday.

Please chime in with build list suggestions as I'm looking to get back on a trail soon. However, I'm not in a rush since it's my daily driver (with a 150 round trip commute on some weeks). Also, my first Wrangler was a yellow 91 YJ with a 2.5 L and 4.11s in the back. It performed really well on the trails here (no rock crawling). I dreamed of an engine swap to a 4.0 L. So, this is kinda like that with lockers, right?

Here's two photos from the listing. 33" x 12.5" Mickey Thompsons on some 15" x 8" Pro Comps.

View attachment 183515View attachment 183516

Found out the top leaked in the first sideways rain storm in summer 2016 so I replaced it with a Trektop. I also dropped the tires to 31 BFG K02s on a 15x8 due to the commute.

View attachment 183517

The OEM spare tire holder broke as did a hinge, so I replaced them with a GR8TOPS Exogate Tailgate. Also felt great to dig my Hi-Lift out of the corner of the garage after 16 years. Also added an LOD Offroad rear bumper to get the receiver hitch and shackle points.

View attachment 183523

For now most of my off-road action at the moment involves pulling a smoker.

View attachment 183519

The most essential mods not pictured are security. The first owner had a custom add-a-trunk fabbed up. I added a Tuffy glove box, console, hood latch, and door keepers. Street parking = theft as I learned with my '98 Sport. No bueno.

Thanks for checking out the post. Looking forward to learning from y'all.

Glad to see my winch cover isn't the only one that shredded! I gotta get a replacement.

Love the LJR! If you're looking for a khaki hardtop, I have one for sale. Down in Ft Lauderdale. Seems my location is stopping people from buying it.