Slowly getting my M3 back

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
When I moved to Wyoming in 2020, I brought my TJ with me as I figured it'd be much more suited to the weather and outdoors life you think of when you think of Wyoming. These last 18mos have showed I was 110% right in bringing the Jeep instead of the M3.

But that doesn't mean I haven't missed driving my M3. When I left it at home with my folks, I hadn't consistently driven it since I got the Jeep, just because I was so far behind on maintenance that I didn't want to break something REALLY expensive.

Fast forward to now and it looks like by this time in March, my M3 will be in Wyoming with me!

About 6mos ago, I learned that Tool would be performing in Columbus, OH on March 6th. Tool is my favorite band and the first concert I ever saw, back in 2005 or something, in Columbus at Nationwide when they toured 10,000 Days. It was an absolutely incredible experience. So, when I heard they were playing in Columbus, I told my brother and he ended up getting us some bomb seats for the show. This will be his first ever concert - and to say we're excited is an understatement.

This will be my first trip back to Ohio since moving to Wyoming. So I had my M3 towed to a local place that has done work on it before and had him inspect it and give me an idea as to what it was going to take to get it safe to drive back to Wyoming. Original estimate was $3k, but with labor and extra work he's done, it's ballooned to over $5k. All fluids, headlights, valve timing, new battery, new battery cable that has to be routed through the interior from the trunk to the engine bay, resurfaced brake rotors, valve cover gasket, cleaning a bunch of stuff, new brake caliper, getting the tires and wheels fixed up, fan clutch, etc. It's been a lot of work. Turns out the DSC/Stability Control lights was a yaw sensor that went bad when I had my mold issue a few years ago - $1300 just for that! But I found someone on the M3 forums who had an extra used sensor they pulled for a job that never materialized and gave it to me for whatever the shipping cost was.

So, by the time I fly back on the 2nd of March (with my cat, Noam - this should be interesting), my M3 should be ready and waiting to drive me the 1500mi back to Casper. It's been 18mos since I've driven it and maybe... 4 years since I've driven it consistently. Just never had the money to keep up with maintenance. Now, I have that ability.

To say I'm excited to get my M3 back and take it cross-country (ish) is an understatement. :D

Last time my brother dropped off the payment for work done he grabbed some pics for me.

Few weeks ago:

OaStkAX9MP1sp&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
HhptIAX9FKprh&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
-fNBoAX-XibdP&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg

xH1nAAX_5Fkt2&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
R1VJQAX89JCCY&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
EkqBIAX-5xVdk&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg

DMOFsAX9ZbID2&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg

Taken on Wednesday:

h0yVpgi-ZDUB1&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
YNn64AX-kn7H4&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg

9ho-kAX-V0DBM&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
Awmg8AX-E08A5&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
oGCDEAX_bmUfc&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg

CBJNwAX-atkH6&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
WLd_UAX9vnr0t&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
P6gSAicessSiR&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg

He's not as fast as an indy as it's just him at the moment, but he gives you the kind of service and care you only get from a local guy who's lived his life there and knows how to treat his customers.

He even wrote down a list of other things I might consider getting done in the future if time/money allows. Part name, number, price, labor, etc. That's service!

_nc_ohc=h7eEpkj6TYUAX-X5IgL&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg

EDIT: Gas Buddy says it's going to be about $250 in gas to get back to Casper.

gsbuddy.JPG

I also think it's underestimating my highway mileage as I used to get 30+ highway with it, not 22.

Last edited:
Now you're bringing up old wounds. I had a pristine 65K mile M3/4/5 that I sold. I took it to the track a few times and it handled so well, in stock form, that I couldn't drive it to its potential. It is one car I truly miss! :(

M3 117rev2(1).jpg

M3 148rev2.jpg

M3 125rev2.jpg

M3 105rev2.jpg

Reactions: Ephry73 and Irun
Oof, finding a clean E36 is going to be a tall, expensive order.

I had contemplated selling my M3, but it appears my Mystic Blue Metallic 6MT hardtop is pretty difficult to find - and I know I'd never get out of it what it's worth to me.
You should have seen the dudes garage I got it from. He was a VP at lowe’s. Had pretty much every version of every M car. And a z8…

Reactions: Irun
sold my e36 m3 to help fund the Jeep. I bought it in college, still remember drifting out of the car dealer lot on the test drive (I worked there at the time)….miss that car

View attachment 310600
It was either Jeep or M3, one had to go, and as much as I loved the m3, I get way more use and fun out of the Jeep.