Small Camping Trailer

techjeeper

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
We have this little trailer that I think could make a cool little camping trailer. I picked it up for $250, added sone 4 lug to 5 lug spacers and the old tires and wheels of our TJ. It has torsion axles on each side. Still kicking around ideas on how to finish it out. The little frame I bolted to the bad trailer is 30.50”X60.75”. My thought that keeps coming back to me one big drawer that pulls out the back with a kitchen setup and a big platform above that for strapping down the tent, chairs, boxes, etc.

IMG_1237.jpeg

IMG_1238.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a good start. (y) I picked up a small frame and turned it into an off road trailer or as many refer to as an expedition trailer (silly name). Some of the things I factored into my design were that I wanted it to also function as a small utility trailer. A 4' x 6' with an additional 2" on the width works well for carrying sheet goods. It's a very common size for this type of trailer. It also fits most of the larger ATVs. I built in a 2,000 lb. and the ability attach ramps. Most RTTs fit on this size too.

There are lots of examples of home builts and professional jobs on forums such as Overland Bound and Expedition Portal. Search for "Overland trailers" or something similar.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/whats-new/
https://forum.expeditionportal.com/whats-new/posts/5005428/

Here's what I built mine into ...

23-10-01 2.jpg

23-10-30 36.jpg

Good luck with your build.

That's a good start. (y) I picked up a small frame and turned it into an off road trailer or as many refer to as an expedition trailer (silly name). Some of the things I factored into my design were that I wanted it to also function as a small utility trailer. A 4' x 6' with an additional 2" on the width works well for carrying sheet goods. It's a very common size for this type of trailer. It also fits most of the larger ATVs. I built in a 2,000 lb. and the ability attach ramps. Most RTTs fit on this size too.

There are lots of examples of home builts and professional jobs on forums such as Overland Bound and Expedition Portal. Search for "Overland trailers" or something similar.

This is my very technical rendering. Maybe more like truck bed type trailer with full wheel coverage.

IMG_1714.jpeg

Reactions: MikekiM and PCO6

View attachment 482057

View attachment 482059

That’s a really nice trailer, I don’t expect to come out with anything like that.

I simply don’t have the time to devote it. I can visualize and design better than I can execute often times. I do plan to utilize my CNC plasma to cut out anything I can to expedite and improve the process. Just need to sit down one night put it all into CAD.

Reactions: MikekiM and PCO6
This is my very technical rendering. Maybe more like truck bed type trailer with full wheel coverage.

View attachment 482088

Nice! (y) That will give you lots of storage and with or without a lid you'll be able to mount an RTT on top or carry a couple of kayaks if you're into that. Regarding slide out drawers, there are lots of DIY builds on line. I'm currently building a fridge slide out and the designs are really easy to follow. Also, for your box height, just a suggestion but get all of the things you even think you'll want to carry like a storage boxes, a cooler, propane tank, etc, and put them loosely on your deck. I went with 16" sides and messed up in that a 20 lb. propane tank is a bit too high. 20" or even 19" would have been better.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikekiM
That’s a really nice trailer, I don’t expect to come out with anything like that.

I simply don’t have the time to devote it. I can visualize and design better than I can execute often times. I do plan to utilize my CNC plasma to cut out anything I can to expedite and improve the process. Just need to sit down one night put it all into CAD.

Thanks. I built most of it during COVID and although my usual metal supplier was deemed an essential business, me being a hobbyist didn't qualify as an essential customer. There's a lot of "scrap" in it! :)

Nice! (y) That will give you lots of storage and with or without a lid you'll be able to mount an RTT on top or carry a couple of kayaks if you're into that. Regarding slide out drawers, there are lots of DIY builds on line. I'm currently building a fridge slide out and the designs are really easy to follow. Also, for your box height, just a suggestion but get all of the things you even think you'll want to carry like a storage boxes, a cooler, propane tank, etc, and put them loosely on your deck. I went with 16" sides and messed up in that a 20 lb. propane tank is a bit too high. 20" or even 19" would have been better.

That’s good info, thank you. Mountain biking and kayaking are always on the table for us. Some sort of cross rails would be the only thing I’d go across with. No lid or anything. It’s all stuff that would normally ride in a truck bed. Maybe nice to keep it dry but not required.

Reactions: PCO6
That’s a nice starting point. I don’t really have anything useful to add other than I’ve used etrailer.com several times times for parts for my little Pack Mule trailer and my bigger utility trailer and have been happy with their products and service. Their description and installation videos are really good.

Reactions: PCO6