Smoke Test Connection

Tahdig_siah

TJ Enthusiast
I have a smoke machine and would like to see if any of the hoses or the PCV valve is leaking. I am doing this to learn and see if there are any possible cracks that can cause a vacuum leak. Where should I hook the smoke machine to? would you just poke a hole in a glove and place it directly over the air box inlet after removing the filter? The engine needs to be running at operating temp, wouldn't doing so prevent the engine from receiving air and cause damage? I am sure some will hate on this question, but honestly I am trying to learn. Thank you.

If your Jeep is a '97- '02, there is a schrader valve in the evap system, (Driver's side on engine), for just that purpose. Otherwise, you could get some fuel line connectors, cut that line, put a "T" fitting in it and smoke from there. When you're done, remove the "T" and replace it with a straight piece until next time.

Reactions: Tahdig_siah
If your Jeep is a '97- '02, there is a schrader valve in the evap system, (Driver's side on engine), for just that purpose. Otherwise, you could get some fuel line connectors, cut that line, put a "T" fitting in it and smoke from there. When you're done, remove the "T" and replace it with a straight piece until next time.
Thank you for your response. this is where the valve is, correct? mine is a 2000 TJ 2.5L manual.
1693513259308.png

I'm confused what you're trying to do. If the engine is running and you feed it smoke through the air intake, you're not going to see it come out of any cracks. The engine will still be pulling vacuum so no smoke will escape.

Also, another way to find vacuum leaks is to spray brake clean around the intake and vacuum lines. If you hear the engine increase it's idle speed you've found a leak. The engine is pulling that flammable cleaner in causing it to run faster.

I think for a smoke machine to work engine would have to be off and you would have to pressurize the intake with smoke.....