Snapped bolt on water pump

Medic203

So I was trying to tackle the cooling system since I'm not driving it anyway right now. Well got the rad/water pump and all that changed out. Got everything back together and... was leaking like hell.

So i took it all apart again thinking ok it's most likely cause I didn't have the gasket surfaces clean enough. I took it all apart again, made sure everything was really clean, and started to put everything back together. Well I was using a torque wrench to get the water pump bolts to 30lbs. it never clicked on the bottom bolt... it snapped.

So what the hell do I do now? I've never had that happen, it's also the one at 6o clock. I've never had to deal with this
Is that gasket on there now ruined, assuming I have to take the damn pump off again?

If it's a paper gasket, it might be ruined.
First attempt to remove it will likely involve an extractor set. Good set of tools to have on hand anyways

If it's a paper gasket, it might be ruined.
First attempt to remove it will likely involve an extractor set. Good set of tools to have on hand anyways

Thanks, so oddly enough I don't actually have a leak anymore. The gasket I got was just whatever they had at advance auto, the mopar one that came with the pump was stuck to the surface (and I had to cut it off).

I figured what the hell I was close to done so I just dumped about a gallon of distilled water in there, and it's not leaking. With that being a moving part though is that likely to hold up?
Or do I need to get that bolt out?

Thanks, so oddly enough I don't actually have a leak anymore. The gasket I got was just whatever they had at advance auto, the mopar one that came with the pump was stuck to the surface (and I had to cut it off).

I figured what the hell I was close to done so I just dumped about a gallon of distilled water in there, and it's not leaking. With that being a moving part though is that likely to hold up?
Or do I need to get that bolt out?
I would remove it and put a new one in there.

The bolts are designed to keep a certain clamping force on the gasket. Without that force you run the risk of blowing out the gasket. Which would probably happen at the worst possible time, aka on a really hot day on the freeway. And it probably wouldn't be a slow leak, but more of a blowout.

It should be safe to drive around a bit, like to a mechanic's shop to get the bolt extracted. Just bring a couple gallons of distilled water just in case.

When you remove the pump, that bolt might be sticking out from the block allowing you to grab it with a vise grips.

30 lb ft seems too high for the water pump bolts. I've never looked it up, i always do it by feel.

Can anyone confirm if 30 is the correct number?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

@super
When you remove the pump, that bolt might be sticking out from the block allowing you to grab it with a vise grips.

30 lb ft seems too high for the water pump bolts. I've never looked it up, i always do it by feel.

Can anyone confirm if 30 is the correct number?

Yeah it was sticking out, and I was able to work it out with needle nose pliers. I did end up ripping the gasket (on the bolt stud) so I'm going to be needing a new one of those.

Yeah I came back in and realized I looked at the wrong number, and they were supposed to be 22. I also put the Tstat housing back on at 20 too so.

All in all it's only looking to be about 5 bucks to fix all this. Minus all the coolant that ended up in my pan and on my driveway.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I made my own gaskets for years with Felpro gasket material. Most paper gaskets are junk. I’m getting ready to send my radiator to the shop for a boil and rebuild and replace the water pump, thermostat, sensor, while it’s out. I hop I can’t have a bolt snap. Mechanics nightmare!