Snapped Idler Pulley Adjustment Bolt

brettwill04

I snapped my idler pulley adjustment bolt on my 97’ 4cyl, got the kit to fix it, I was just wondering what I have to do to get to it and replace it. Thanks

Pictures or a link to pictures of how much of the adjuster bolt remains or any other damage would be of help to recommend a course of action.
Please add your Jeep information to your Profile to assist forum members with your future questions.

There is a downloadable Factory Service Manual in PDF for your year TJ on the Forum in the TJ Resources section.

https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/1997-jeep-wrangler-service-manual-pdf.308365/

The picture below is from the above manual which indicates how to access the adjuster.

IMG_0831.jpg

Basically you should just have to loosen the big bolt the big pulley rotates around to be able to unscrew/remove the long threaded adjustment bolt. Spray a little lubricant onto the adjustment bolt where it screws in before removing it. When adjusting the new adjustment screw get it tight enough so the serpentine belt can barely be deflected 1/2" when pushed hard with your thumb midway along its longest unsupported length.