Snapped rear most valve cover bolt

Sensei

TJ Enthusiast
Unfortunately while trying to torque the rear most drivers side valve cover bolt, the one next to the odd-ball larger bolt that holds a ground strap, I snapped it. I had a valve cover leak and thought tightening down the bolts would help me out. I made it all the way around the cover (bolts were fairly easy to tighten), everything was fine till I got to that last bolt. I've since removed the valve cover to attempt to begin removing this snapped bolt. The bolt is relatively flush with the head, and I managed to drill a mostly center hole into the snapped bolt with my right angle adapter.

I've done some research on methods for extracting this type of problem bolt, and most suggest using an ez out or extractor. This has failed me, but luckily I haven't made the issue any worse. Instead its left me with a mostly center hole. My next choice is to drill out the hole and re-tap it. This leads me to my two main concerns. accompanied by a few questions.

1. I noticed that some of the valve cover bolt holes are drilled substantially deeper than others. Namely there are two I noticed (not sure if my snapped bolt hole is also one). The two specifically are the front-most valve cover bolt on the passenger side, and the rear-most valve cover bolt on the passenger side. If I stick a thin punch in there, the punch does not bottom out like most of the other holes. Why are these two drilled deeper? Is my snapped bolt also supposed to be drilled as deep? Or is it the same depth as most of the other bolts I found around the perimeter of the valve cover?

2, My second question will require a more specific answer and is why I bolded "mostly" above. Preferably accompanied with some type of diagram of the engine head. I am wondering what the actual tolerances of these valve cover bolts are, in terms of diameter & depth, before I start drilling into another channel of the engine, (or cooling jacket, etc)? Alot of people suggest drilling the valve cover bolt hole larger, and then using a helicoil. So how much tolerance do I actually have exactly?

don't use cheap ez outs they dont work ! snap on is best and well worth the money. I'd bet if you try one on it it will back out ! also tightening those bolts does nothing, they have a toque limiter ( as they call it ) basically its a washer and bushing in one that will not allow you to warp the valve cover because the bushing bottoms out. when you take it apart you'll see what I'm talking about. the rubber grommets are what puts the clamp down pressure on the valve cover.
these are worth their weight in gold !
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3942095114...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Reactions: Irun and Chris
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
look for a square fluted easy out, they are better then the spiral type and also try to find a left handed drill bit that is larger then the hole you drilled already and most of the time it will back out while doing the drilling.

Reactions: ColoJeep
look for a square fluted easy out, they are better then the spiral type and also try to find a left handed drill bit that is larger then the hole you drilled already and most of the time it will back out while doing the drilling.

32 yrs of aircraft maintenance tells me those square ez outs aint worth a shit !!!!

Yeah theres no way in hell Im going to be able to back this snapped bolt out. That leaves me with tapping it. Does anyone know the tolerances as requested in question 2 of my original post? Thanks kindly.