Snapped spark plug

Jackson P

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Any suggestions on getting the rest out of the head would be appreciated. Think fluid film and an easy-out is pretty well the only option. Wish me luck!

Snapchat-606611874.jpg

I would pull the head and take it to a machine shop. I have seen miss drills before and not a good end result. And with the ceramic and drill angel, view, lighting ...

Reactions: Jackson P
Call a couple of good repair shops before you pull the head and get a price. They have kits to extract plugs like this.

I think you are on the right track and can get a straight shot with an extractor. Roll it up to TDC for that cylinder to start with. The trick will be keeping or removing the crap out of the cylinder. If the rig has more miles than the QMII, it is a plausible excuse for pulling and refreshing the head. If someone has a better option, I defer to them.

I think you are on the right track and can get a straight shot with an extractor. Roll it up to TDC for that cylinder to start with. The trick will be keeping or removing the crap out of the cylinder. If the rig has more miles than the QMII, it is a plausible excuse for pulling and refreshing the head. If someone has a better option, I defer to them.

That looks pretty good. I'll add- When drilling through the plug, have the bit as short as possible. It would really suck to hit the piston a split second after breaking through.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I think me and the old man will attempt removal with an extractor, if we can't get that to work then I think machine shop will definitely be the next step. It is a 2000 4.0 with 180k km (115ish miles) so it wouldn't be a bad idea to do the head gasket anyways. Was also reading that the 2000 has a tendency to Crack the head so I'll inspect that further.

Plugs were pretty well the last thing I was going to do, already fixed the floors, new torque support boxes welded in and some frame patching. Also already put 3in bds springs up front 2in rear, rancho 5000x, jks mml, completely new sound system, sound deadened the whole tub, por15 the whole undercarriage, cleaned out frame and put fluid film inside, new headlights, did some touch up paint (going to repaint whole thing in the fall), new rad, new exhaust, among countless other little things. I know the frame patches aren't a permanent fix, but the father was a professional welder for 10 years and a structural engineer for the last 20 so I trust him when he says it'll last another 5 years until I can swap in a new frame.

Previous owner was an idiot to say the least. He tried repairing the torque boxes with foam insulation and roofing tar... No joke. Had the headlight's high beams wired to an auxiliary switch for some reason. Other then that though it was a completely stock jeep that's just been neglected its whole life. Just seen the other day someone on here saying "the worst thing about a wrangler is their previous owner" and I would definitely have to agree with him. Mind you I did know the jeep had quite a few issues (only paid 4000CAD) and we have a lift and all the tools in the world so I was okay with taking some time to fix it. It has now been on the lift for 1 month, the end is in sight. I have 70 hrs in myself and the old man has probably put in another 40 just welding/patching the body and frame(I can't weld). I have 10 days off uni to work on it because of this coronavirus so I guess that's nice. Let's see if we can crack a 200hr resto HA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotrodbud and Mjv
Be very careful getting the rest of the plug out. Anything left in the cylinder can really screw the pooch for you. Start NOW with Kroil on the remaining sparkplugs. If anything breaks off of any of them stop. Do not rotate the crank. Pulling the head may be the only [safe] way to get them out. And yea it sucks, and yes its expensive, but let some porcelain get run through the engine and you could be in for the worst. It really sucks that people are too lazy to ever lift a hood anymore. The minimum amount of care makes the next owner's life a lot easier.

So for any of you guys out there that have their own "parts yard" spend a bit of time before all those parts turn into a lump of boat anchor.

Got er out boys, cranked the engine over and the porcelain portion flew right out then we used an easy-out to get the metal portion out.

I Fluid filmed the other 5 last night and they came out great this morning. Made sure to put some anti-seize on the new iridium plugs.
IMG_20200314_103402.jpg