Snow Day in GA

IMG_20171208_070814964.jpg

quick question tho, new to my Jeep-
are snowy/slippery roads appropriate for 4wd? I started to fishtail at less than 10 on the road around my house, so when I go back out I'd rather not lose traction again. won't be going more than 15-20

Wow, so cool! My daughter keeps asking if it will snow for Christmas. I said not very likely in Salem, Oregon, but we can hope.

are snowy/slippery roads appropriate for 4wd? I started to fishtail at less than 10 on the road around my house, so when I go back out I'd rather not lose traction again. won't be going more than 15-20
4hi is absolutely appropriate for snow. Put your TJ in 4hi, go to an empty parking lot and play with it a little to get a feel for how it handles. The type and size of tire on your TJ makes a HUGE difference in how it handles so learn how your setup works in the snow. Remember the four wheel drive has absolutely no effect on your brakes. You will be able to get going faster than is reasonable and safe in four wheel drive. When you step on the brakes, you'll find that out. Figure all that out in the parking lot first.

They are very easy to spin when you turn to corners and intersections. Go easy on your gas. Most 4x4 ends up in the ditch than regular cars when I was living in Chicago.

You guys...we got 6 inches overnight. Snow is NOT a novelty here. It's snowing again, by the way. My jeep is parked for the winter now. I'll drive my 4x4 F150, with a rear locker and stability control. 175" wheelbase helps keep things from getting crazy. Wish I could box the snow up and send it to you for Christmas @Chris . You all can have it all!

Last edited:
We got 6" here. Got out in it when it first started but didn't get out the next morning. To many people trying to play on ice patches.
IMG_20171208_114225780.jpg

Reactions: StG58
Sheesh...6" of snow in Georgia probably shut the state down. This is our forecast for the latest "winter storm." "localized amounts up to 14"

Tomorrow's commute is gonna suck...but we'll still have school most likely
upload_2017-12-11_10-52-10.png

4x4 is definitely appropriate with snow/slippery roads.

However, the caveat is to know if you have an open diff up front vs an auto-locker.
If you have something like a lunchbox auto-locker a Detroit locker in your front axle...then extra caution is highly recommended when engaging 4x4 in snow/slippery conditions. It can be dangerous if you are not aware. (It can also be dangerous even when you are aware).

If you have an open diff up front and/or a locker that requires engaging (being open when disengaged), then you are golden in the snow in 4x4.

Reactions: StG58