Snowblower Questions

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Since we have a wide range of people represented here I thought I'd ask here..

I need a new snowblower. New being new to me unless I can find one on sale for a good price.
So I've been looking at all the different options and features offered. I'm faced with the first big question?
Wheeled or track? Has anyone had a snowblower with tracks? I've tried doing some reading and looking around and get mixed reviews.

Been looking at this tracked unit.

Troy-Bilt 26 in. 208 cc Two-Stage Gas Snow Blower with Electric Start and Track Drive and Electronic 4-Way Chute Control-Storm Tracker 2690XP - The Home Depot

Or my other option is to get a garden tractor with a snowblower mounted on it.

1606407252873.png

Now I don't have a long driveway but thought the tractor would be nice other than I'm worried about being able to maneuver in tight areas.

So those who live in the colder climates what say you? Which have you used? Is a tracked one better? Anyone had a tractor mounted one? How good is it?

Thanks all

I've had a Honda HS624 24" tracked snow blower for 19 years. I absolutely love it. It steers like crap but you never have to push it, it's damn near unstoppable. I got it when I lived in town and even where the city plow trucks would plow up a berm 3ft high of snow, slush and ice that would freeze solid, just give it a moment and the toothed cutter spool would eat it's way right through it. It also throws the snow a good 30 to 40 feet. I now have a driveway that's about 180 ft long and I can clear it full width of 18 inches of snow in under and hour easy. Steers like crap though, you just gotta shove it around to where you want it aimed. One more thing. This shithouse alcohol gas that we have imposed on us will ruin the carb if you fail to drain it at the end of the season. One more thing, the cut height is adjustable so you can set it to cut right down against pavement or if you're like me and have a stone (limestone) driveway, you can set it to cut so you don't pick up stones and fill your yard with them. Good luck on your hunt!

The tractor attachments are great if you have a wide open area to plow, but they're tough to use for tighter spots just like a riding lawnmower.

Here in UT we get plenty of snow, I started out with a plow attachment for my quad but that just got to be a pain in the ass with plowing around cars in the driveway, trashcans, the sidewalk around the corner, etc... I went out a few years ago & got a Troybilt from Lowe's for around $500. It's wheeled, driven, pretty easy to maneuver & does well overall. When I was shopping it seemed 4-500$ was about the baseline for a good drive system & engine, much over that you're paying for niceties like heated grips, lights etc.

I haven't ever used a tracked model, but my neighbor has one & he complains about the weight & difficulty steering compared to his old wheeled model. Seems like a tradeoff between maneuverability & ability to keep tracking forward without having to assist.

During the winter I break it out about once a week, so far haven't had any issues with it (except for the time my wife ran over a loose 2x4 & snapped the auger pins lol).

Pro-tip: spray the auger & exhaust chute down with fluid film, keeps wet snow/slush from piling up.

Also use ethanol-free gas if you can find it in your area. Makes a world of difference.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I've only ever used the wheeled snowblowers so I have no idea what the tracked is like but has always heard that they were unstoppable. I have a slight slope to my driveway and my old snowblower I had to help push it back up the slope. But it's OLD and last year I borrowed my neighbors since mine had stopped working. I sheared the auger pin but couldn't find the hole and didn't have heat at the time in the garage. But my carburetor on it is shot and they no longer make that carburetor.

So I think the tractor mounted ones are out for me because I don't have a big area to plow and I don't feel like running into my truck with it. So I'll go back to the wheeled units instead. Now to just figure out which one and how much I want to spend.

And yes I drain my carburetor every spring and put Stabil in the tank.

Cannot stress this enough, B & S filed for bankruptcy and Troybilt is the bottom of the barrel.

Wow Troybilt use to be one of the better companies out there.

What about Toro or Cub Cadet? Those are two other brands that are familiar to me. There is Yard Max & Massimo & Husqvarna.

Now I know Husqvarna made good chainsaws but that is all I know of that brand. I'm trying to stay under $1200 and I'd like to be even less if I can find a good one. But I'm also gunna get some nice features like heated grips.

Back in the day, before I relocated to warmer climates I owned tractor mounted and walk behind. Overall I'd say go with a walk behind, rubber tire with chains. Much easier to hump around the driveway! Easier to move around in the garage in the off season.

Unless you have lots and lots of sidewalks to clear, the tractor mounted blower is over rated.

Now I must decide if I bring the umbrella to the beach or not!!

Happy Thanksgiving my friends!

Cannot stress this enough, B & S filed for bankruptcy and Troybilt is the bottom of the barrel.
Agreed. Troybilt has no power compared to others. We get 150"+ here in NW PA every winter & I used to sweat my balls off pushing my TB around while I watched my neighbors go our for a stroll with theirs & finish before me. I got an Ariens 24" 2 winters ago. We call it BOB - Big Orange Beast - paid $1000

Reactions: Wildman
I've worked on small engines as a side business for 14+ years now.

The best value would be a slightly used Toro or Ariens snowblower. New I would shop those two brands (and only those two brands) as well. My 3rd choice would be a Honda snowblower (wheeled models only) but the price for them used/new simply isn't worth it.

I'd stay away from tracked snow blowers. They are great when they work, but if they break you are looking at big $ for repairs. I replaced 5 Honda track snow blower transmissions last year. The parts alone were $500+, and the whole machine needs to be disassembled. At least they still make the parts, many other brands only make 1 or 2 track models, so finding parts can be a nightmare. Also stay away from Home Depot junk. This includes Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, Brute, and other box store brands. The metal is way too thin. They last 5-6 years before they rust out, or it is very common for the frame to crack where the blower housing mounts to the drive. I weld a few of them a year, and it only fixes it temporarily.

As far as a tractor with a snowblower, you will have the same issues as mentioned above with the cheaper brands, as the snowblower housings are the same construction. I have an older John Deere garden tractor with a snowblower attachment, and while it is powerful, it is not very maneuverable, and attaching/removing the blower is a bit of a pain in the ass, especially if it snows late fall when I'm still using the tractor for leaves.

How large of a driveway do you have?

Back in the day, before I relocated to warmer climates I owned tractor mounted and walk behind. Overall I'd say go with a walk behind, rubber tire with chains. Much easier to hump around the driveway! Easier to move around in the garage in the off season.

Unless you have lots and lots of sidewalks to clear, the tractor mounted blower is over rated.

Now I must decide if I bring the umbrella to the beach or not!!

Happy Thanksgiving my friends!

Thanks
I had been looking at the tractor mounted ones because with my leg walking behind can be a chore but from the sounds of it I'm going to be better off with a wheeled walk behind unit. I don't have a lot to snowblow really and I have to maneuver around cars and Jeep trailer.

This is at about the bottom of my driveway and the house is 52' long and another 12' to the garage.

IMG_5497.jpg

This from the front corner of the house to the garage.

IMGP1502.jpg

The brand Ariens was not familiar to me but I will look at those also. What about Cub Cadet?

Thanks for all the help.

Reactions: reddvltj
Wow Troybilt use to be one of the better companies out there.

What about Toro or Cub Cadet? Those are two other brands that are familiar to me. There is Yard Max & Massimo & Husqvarna.

Now I know Husqvarna made good chainsaws but that is all I know of that brand. I'm trying to stay under $1200 and I'd like to be even less if I can find a good one. But I'm also gunna get some nice features like heated grips.

Troy Bilt when it was actually Troy Bilt In upstate Troy NY was excellent well made equipment but since MTD took over everything is built to a Home Depot price point.

Cub Cadet was great when International owned the brand but it is an MTD company also so the same as Troy Bilt now.

Ariens makes one hell of a good snowblower and have a good reputation.

This is all some great information. It's helping me out a lot and I won't be wasting my money on those other brands.

So either Toro or Ariens is the machines I will be looking at. Damn there goes the funds I'd saved for my shocks. But no big deal I'll get them soon enough.

This is all some great information. It's helping me out a lot and I won't be wasting my money on those other brands.

So either Toro or Ariens is the machines I will be looking at. Damn there goes the funds I'd saved for my shocks. But no big deal I'll get them soon enough.
Back on the east coast I had a large self propelled Toro and my Dad had the Ariens , both are great machines.

The one option I found to be a must is the 110V electric start, skip the 12V battery start if you can.

Back on the east coast I had a large self propelled Toro and my Dad had the Ariens , both are great machines.

The one option I found to be a must is the 110V electric start, skip the 12V battery start if you can.

Yes my current snowblower has the 110V started and I like it a LOT. I hate trying to pull start one.
I swapped out snowmobiles to get one with a starter.

Reactions: reddvltj and TJ4Jim

I always tell my customers looking for snowblowers to check craigslist and facebook marketplace for slightly used Toro or Ariens machines. You can find some that were used once or never used for a fraction of the new price, many times from older folks who have stored it in a garage for the entire year and are moving to a warmer climate.

Another vote for a wheeled Ariens, with the 110volt start.

My wife insisted on that start option and she was so right. And yes, she moved a lot of snow when I was working or traveling for work. Gotta love a farm girl!

I had great luck with the Tecumseh SnoKing motor but I don’t believe they make that model any more.

Walk behind is much easier than a tractor in tight quarters IMO but I understand your situation.

Reactions: Andrew Mac
Ariens. Mine has a locking differential that makes it climb up my steep driveway with ease. I also like the controls compared to John Deere, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, White/MTD. Mine's a 1996 vintage, but the Tecumseh Snow King engine has only required oil changes and a new spark plug in 25 years. If you compare the metal thickness of the skids and chute compared to other brands, it's obviously better built.

With only 8 HP and 24" width, I've cleared 20+" in one swipe.

Reactions: jgaz and Wildman
I've tried a mower attached blower and found it was a PITA. Mounting/dismounting every year, a big weight hanging off the front made the rear end very light and tire spin was common, even with chains and weight. Off season storage was a problem, unless you used a wheeled cart to move around.