So many clunks

GeorgeSully

TJ Enthusiast
I have way too many clunks and I’m tired of them and ready to fix them all. First off I have one that happens when I start driving or when I brake in reverse and another when I shift into reverse from park. Among many others I think I may be able to fix these with new control arms. My question is should I buy new control arms for my stock height Jeep or are bushings easy enough to replace on my own?
1998 Sahara 4.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is easier and faster to just replace the control arms. Crown makes a good product for stock arms. If you are considering putting on a lift you can get adjustable arms and set them for stock.

To but it simply. If you like a lot of work you can press in and out 16 bushings and maybe save 40 bucks. Or just buy the ready to install kit.

The only link i have is but you can also get them on Amazon.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...tHZdtbdtTRT2U1Wj7fyRSlnzUTNToZrBoC9aMQAvD_BwE

Edit also you should buy the front axle bushings. They must be pressed in and out. But its only 2 of them

Hell no! Buy them already assembled. Way too much work to save a few dollars.....unless your budget is crazy tight. But time is money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DrDmoney
Very timely post for me. I've got some odd popping noises coming out from under my LJ when I hit a bump.

Very timely post for me. I've got some odd popping noises coming out from under my LJ when I hit a bump.
I feel your pain. Mine has been popping sence i bought it. Still thinking about what arms i am going to use. It a long process.

I feel your pain. Mine has been popping sence i bought it. Still thinking about what arms i am going to use. It a long process.

Mine starts out great with no noises, but depending on road conditions, load, etc, it'll start doing it once the Jeep warms up good. I pulled a trailer loaded with concrete blocks down a rough road over the weekend and it sounded like popcorn was popping under there.

Mine starts out great with no noises, but depending on road conditions, load, etc, it'll start doing it once the Jeep warms up good. I pulled a trailer loaded with concrete blocks down a rough road over the weekend and it sounded like popcorn was popping under there.
I have been slowly getting them to go away. With new shocks and sway bar links. But the arms only want to but once.

I'm gaining on 170K miles on mine. I guess it's time to start sorting the suspension out. I'm keeping it stock though.

Reactions: KCsTJ