Social Media, Selfies, & The Modern Generations

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
The family and I went to the zoo today for a few hours so the kids could have fun. We got to see all the animals, enjoy the nice weather, and we had a good day overall.

One observation I made during out time at the zoo was noticing how many people (most of them looked between 16 to 30) just couldn't stop taking photos of themselves with their phones in front of the animal exhibits.

Now don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a family photo once in a while with all of us in front of a scenic backdrop. However, these people were just taking photos of themselves. It wasn't just once or twice either, it was all over the place, and it was quite a bit of the younger people there.

My wife asked what they were going to do with all those photos, and I replied, "What do you think? They're going to put them on social media to see how many likes or comments they can get, obviously.". She said, "Are people really that vein and narcissistic? Are they really that full of themselves where they have to take a photo of themselves every few minutes?"

I told her that they are. I see it quite often, and it's definitely becoming more common with the younger generations. The need to constantly be sharing your location, where you're at, and photos you've taken of yourself with people online, it's starting to become an epidemic of sorts. I don't get it and likely never will, but man, it seems that people these days are really infatuated with themselves. It's sort of sickening.

Rant over.

The family and I went to the zoo today for a few hours so the kids could have fun. We got to see all the animals, enjoy the nice weather, and we had a good day overall.

One observation I made during out time at the zoo was noticing how many people (most of them looked between 16 to 30) just couldn't stop taking photos of themselves with their phones in front of the animal exhibits.

Now don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a family photo once in a while with all of us in front of a scenic backdrop. However, these people were just taking photos of themselves. It wasn't just once or twice either, it was all over the place, and it was quite a bit of the younger people there.

My wife asked what they were going to do with all those photos, and I replied, "What do you think? They're going to put them on social media to see how many likes or comments they can get, obviously.". She said, "Are people really that vein and narcissistic? Are they really that full of themselves where they have to take a photo of themselves every few minutes?"

I told her that they are. I see it quite often, and it's definitely becoming more common with the younger generations. The need to constantly be sharing your location, where you're at, and photos you've taken of yourself with people online, it's starting to become an epidemic of sorts. I don't get it and likely never will, but man, it seems that people these days are really infatuated with themselves. It's sort of sickening.

Rant over.

I think there are several articles online about people being addicted to “likes”. It’s their source for dopamine. The social network has caused the younger generation to validate their since of belonging with the instant gratification feedback known as “likes”. Rather scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
I think there are several articles online about people being addicted to “likes”. It’s their source for dopamine. The social network has caused the younger generation to validate their since of belonging with the instant gratification feedback known as “likes”. Rather scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I've read several articles on that, and there have been actual studies done showing that people these days are genuinely addicted to the dopamine loop that they receive anytime they upload a photo and it gets new comments or "likes". It's something that may be dangerous in the long run, but it could take 100 or more years to really see the results of that.

I just know that there's a lot of people these days who are very self-absorbed the way they're constantly taking photos of themselves, as if anyone even cares. It gets annoying too, especially when you're trying not to run into them wherever you go. At the zoo I almost bumped right into several of them because they just stop right in front of you with no warning to snap photos of themselves!

Chris you hit on a topic I could go on for days about.

I listened to a psychiatrist (a professor at a local university) on a radio segment one day and he made the following statements.

*when people go on vacation (only some obviously) it is no longer about going to "see or experience" the sites or attractions, the attraction is now about getting the selfie with the attraction for the sole purpose of posting it on social media

*prolific social media posters (on average) take 17 pictures before they find that one that portrays their perfect life and is worthy of posting on social media

*prolific social media users are less social and more isolated than people who do not use social media (kinda ironic — SOCIAL media)

*doctors have reported seeing cases of depression when prolific social media users do not get those likes, so it goes even further than the increased dopamine, to a reduction of serotonin (and while not proven to cause depression alone there is a correlation)

To me selfies are just ridiculous and people need to get over themselves and realize they are just not that important and no one gives a shit :)

Reactions: GrayGhost and Chris
You got me going on this Chris.

I think it has to do with how kids are raised. That is just my opinion. I have 5 siblings and 17 nieces and nephews, and grand kids combined. I could see the difference within our clan. One of my brother and his wife do not like to watch TV, seldom use a phone text.

Now with my Millennial relatives. The confident ones (not the prettiest one) do not even bother to take picture of himself / herself. And so, by my observation, confidence and self steam has somewhat related to these social behaviors.

Most of millennials are deprived socially because the mom and dad (I am talking about my brothers & sisters) are both busy working to make a decent living to better their lifestyle. Kids then often stay home in their bedrooms (chat room) all the time instead of family get together.

My brother who does not like watching tv? "no Alexa" at home. They are deprived in materials: like a new car, a new phone, a new couch, no new flat screen digital smart television, don't shop for new branded clothing, branded purse, etc. I suspect his kids don't have "followers" in the social media.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
And then you have the people you meet or know that always want to talk about "themselves". Don't want to hear what you have been doing, and when you try to say something about what you have been doing, they interrupt you and just turn the subject back to them. What's up with that?? My wife and I have been talking about that and there seems to be getting more and more people like that.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
Chris you hit on a topic I could go on for days about.

I listened to a psychiatrist (a professor at a local university) on a radio segment one day and he made the following statements.

*when people go on vacation (only some obviously) it is no longer about going to "see or experience" the sites or attractions, the attraction is now about getting the selfie with the attraction for the sole purpose of posting it on social media

*prolific social media posters (on average) take 17 pictures before they find that one that portrays their perfect life and is worthy of posting on social media

*prolific social media users are less social and more isolated than people who do not use social media (kinda ironic — SOCIAL media)

*doctors have reported seeing cases of depression when prolific social media users do not get those likes, so it goes even further than the increased dopamine, to a reduction of serotonin (and while not proven to cause depression alone there is a correlation)

To me selfies are just ridiculous and people need to get over themselves and realize they are just not that important and no one gives a shit :)

All of those things I believe 100%. We go places as a family, and it seems like no matter where we go, people are taking photos of themselves.

I know several people who are addicted to social media, and it's the same thing... They have to take somewhere between 10-20 photos of themselves before they find one that is perfect enough to post on social media. If that photo doesn't get very many likes or comments, they start to get in a bad mood for the rest of the day... no joke!

I truly, truly believe that the long term effects of social media are going go redefine a species. I'm not saying everyone will be like this by any means, but more and more younger generations will. It's really sad to see how people have become so self-absorbed.

And then you have the people you meet or know that always want to talk about "themselves". Don't want to hear what you have been doing, and when you try to say something about what you have been doing, they interrupt you and just turn the subject back to them. What's up with that?? My wife and I have been talking about that and there seems to be getting more and more people like that.

Yes, I notice this as well. I think it goes hand-in-hand with social media addiction. On social media it's always all about me, me, me. So when those people go to have real conversations in person, it's the same thing. They don't care about you, they just want to talk about themselves. Again, this might create real problems let's say 100 years from now.

You got me going on this Chris.

I think it has to do with how kids are raised. That is just my opinion. I have 5 siblings and 17 nieces and nephews, and grand kids combined. I could see the difference within our clan. One of my brother and his wife do not like to watch TV, seldom use a phone text.

Now with my Millennial relatives. The confident ones (not the prettiest one) do not even bother to take picture of himself / herself. And so, by my observation, confidence and self steam has somewhat related to these social behaviors.

Most of millennials are deprived socially because the mom and dad (I am talking about my brothers & sisters) are both busy working to make a decent living to better their lifestyle. Kids then often stay home in their bedrooms (chat room) all the time instead of family get together.

My brother who does not like watching tv? "no Alexa" at home. They are deprived in materials: like a new car, a new phone, a new couch, no new flat screen digital smart television, don't shop for new branded clothing, branded purse, etc. I suspect his kids don't have "followers" in the social media.

I agree with this. I think a lot of it (as with other things) has to do with how kids are raised. If they're neglected at home, they turn to social media in some cases to seek attention. A very confident person wouldn't need to do the social media thing with selfies.

It's very sad to me the way the world is going these days.

Reactions: JMT
I realize there are only a few women here but, what is the deal with bathroom mirror selfies?? And public restrooms at that. I cannot recall a public restroom that I didn't want to get out of asap, let alone taking a picture of myself inside it.

Reactions: JMT
I realize there are only a few women here but, what is the deal with bathroom mirror selfies?? And public restrooms at that. I cannot recall a public restroom that I didn't want to get out of asap, let alone taking a picture of myself inside it.

Men do that too, trust me. I know a few friends who are on dating sites and they take bathroom mirror selfies like no tomorrow, including public restrooms.

Some people simply have no class.

I don't think it's going to take a 100 years Chris, I think it going to happen much faster than that, to that point it has already changed how we are today to an extent, where its going to be in even 25 years time from now makes me shudder.

Here is what else I have noticed, when I asked others about it apparently its a known thing to do;
There is a certain woman where I work that works in communications so Social media is part of her job, we have these profiles at work and you can post a profile picture if you wish, when you look at hers all you can see is her face, no neck, no background etc, you would think she is a very slender person and easy on the eyes. Not to be rude or judgmental but ummm,,,,,she is not. The trick is to hold the camera up over your head and take the photo while looking up at the camera. Not bad in itself but more so the reason people do it which is they always want to portray themselves as perfect on social media. This posting of perfection has a negative affect on others when their lives don't seem perfect in return. The fact that a lot of prolific SM users are celebrities with more money than brains only makes matters worse. What astounds me is that people like the Kar-trash-ions have millions of instagram followers, wtf is wrong with these people!

The other thing that I think is finally being realized by many, is the damage SM social warriors can inflict and how stupid people are for posting too much information about themselves, seems people in general are waking up to the fact the first thing an employer does when gets a resume is checks your facebook profile, so you better not have pictures from last weekends party with a big doob hanging out of your mouth grabbing the strippers boob.

I work in technology but for the most part I think it is a bad thing, we have become to reliant on it. I'm no prepper or doomsday guy but the reality is it will only take a solar flair at the right time, or some other sort of natural disaster to take out large sections of the power grid for god knows how long, people don't get paid, grocery stores don't get food, gas stations have no gas, you all know what happens next.

That's my rant for the day :)

Reactions: JMT and Chris
I don't think it's going to take a 100 years Chris, I think it going to happen much faster than that, to that point it has already changed how we are today to an extent, where its going to be in even 25 years time from now makes me shudder.

Here is what else I have noticed, when I asked others about it apparently its a known thing to do;
There is a certain woman where I work that works in communications so Social media is part of her job, we have these profiles at work and you can post a profile picture if you wish, when you look at hers all you can see is her face, no neck, no background etc, you would think she is a very slender person and easy on the eyes. Not to be rude or judgmental but ummm,,,,,she is not. The trick is to hold the camera up over your head and take the photo while looking up at the camera. Not bad in itself but more so the reason people do it which is they always want to portray themselves as perfect on social media. This posting of perfection has a negative affect on others when their lives don't seem perfect in return. The fact that a lot of prolific SM users are celebrities with more money than brains only makes matters worse. What astounds me is that people like the Kar-trash-ions have millions of instagram followers, wtf is wrong with these people!

The other thing that I think is finally being realized by many, is the damage SM social warriors can inflict and how stupid people are for posting too much information about themselves, seems people in general are waking up to the fact the first thing an employer does when gets a resume is checks your facebook profile, so you better not have pictures from last weekends party with a big doob hanging out of your mouth grabbing the strippers boob.

I work in technology but for the most part I think it is a bad thing, we have become to reliant on it. I'm no prepper or doomsday guy but the reality is it will only take a solar flair at the right time, or some other sort of natural disaster to take out large sections of the power grid for god knows how long, people don't get paid, grocery stores don't get food, gas stations have no gas, you all know what happens next.

That's my rant for the day :)

You're probably right, it will happen sooner than 100 years. I just meant to say that in 100 years it will almost be a part of evolution, in the sense that most human minds will be programmed for instant gratification (you know, the instant "Like" or photo comment) to the point where it might actually create some serious behavioral or societal issues.

As far as the deceiving selfies go, I can tell you stories! My wife has a number of single friends (including my mother-in-law, her mom!) who are on dating sites such as Match.com and others. They take selfies all the time to post on their dating profiles, and I can't even begin to tell you how deceptive some of these photos are. She's shown me some of their dating profiles and the pictures they've posted, and I've met these women in real life. They don't even look remotely close to who they are pretending to be online.

They've taken the photos at all sorts of deceptive angles (usually with the camera from a birds eye view, looking down at their enormous cleavage), taken 20+ shots and chosen the best one, layered the photo with dozens of "filters" in their photo editing app, etc. The end result is an image that is like I said, deceptive.

The problem I see with that is that you're sort of false advertising. You show up to meet someone on a date, and they're instantly going to notice (even if they don't say it out loud) that you look a lot different than the photos you posted.

And then I can rant about how people seem to just willingly give away every single private detail about their life online, on websites that can be accessed by anyone. You might think they are private, but only a fool would be stupid enough to think that something online can only be seen by certain people. They post their every moment, location, etc., all to the public as if it's not private at all. I'll tell you what, the FBI and NSA probably LOVE social media, because it makes their job that much easier to keep tabs on people.

You're right too, the first place most employers look nowadays is Google and social media. All they have to do is look up your name and find everything about you. They can see your pictures, your friends, where you've been, etc. I actually know a few people who run companies and they said that they turn down countless numbers of applicants for open job positions after going through their social media accounts and finding things like photos of them drunk as hell, doing drugs, and behaving like irresponsible people. If you want to keep that stuff to yourself, that's fine, but posting things like that on social media? You're obviously stupid if you don't think that reflects on your resume.

I too work in technology, and while social media does have some positives to it, I think the overall addiction to social media and the negatives far outweigh the positives. This is of course my opinion, but go into your local bar, a tourist attraction, or just about anywhere for that matter. People are glued to their phones 24/7, and if you take a peak over their shoulder, it's almost always social media that they're interacting with.

I really do fear for the future of humanity. The only thing I can possibly do is avoid social media myself, and keep my kids as far away from it for a long as possible (and hope that they too choose to abstain from it when they are adults as well).

I probably sound like some paranoid crazy man, but all you have to do is look around you these days. People are becoming more-and-more self-aborbed and completely unaware.

Reactions: GrayGhost and JMT
As far as the deceiving selfies go, I can tell you stories! My wife has a number of single friends (including my mother-in-law, her mom!) who are on dating sites such as Match.com and others. They take selfies all the time to post on their dating profiles, and I can't even begin to tell you how deceptive some of these photos are. She's shown me some of their dating profiles and the pictures they've posted, and I've met these women in real life. They don't even look remotely close to who they are pretending to be online.

They've taken the photos at all sorts of deceptive angles (usually with the camera from a birds eye view, looking down at their enormous cleavage), taken 20+ shots and chosen the best one, layered the photo with dozens of "filters" in their photo editing app, etc. The end result is an image that is like I said, deceptive.

The problem I see with that is that you're sort of false advertising. You show up to meet someone on a date, and they're instantly going to notice (even if they don't say it out loud) that you look a lot different than the photos you posted.

Funny you say this, I was chatting to a guy who came into my office about online dating, to preface this he's in his early 50's.

Now, I was saying that I had recently put up a profile on one of these sites to just go out to dinner and have an adult conversation with someone other than my dog/cat and google home. And that I was a little shocked at how forward a lot of these people were on a first meet.

Anyway, this guy whips out his phone and starts showing me all of the women he's met, pages and pages of them. Then tells me he went on a US holiday and had women lined up in most of his stops. He was also quite upset that he had left one who appeared to be quite nice from the photos he showed me to visit another who turned out to be one of the ones who take the mis-representive photos.

I laughed and told him it was his own fault. That said he like a lot of others are locked into this "shopping for a partner" routine where they meet someone nice but have the mindset that someone better might be on the horizon. It's all pretty sad in reality.

I laughed and told him it was his own fault. That said he like a lot of others are locked into this "shopping for a partner" routine where they meet someone nice but have the mindset that someone better might be on the horizon. It's all pretty sad in reality.

Precisely. I hear these stories from a lot of my single friends and my wife's single friends. They are indeed locked into a routine of "shopping for a partner" (which is a great way of putting it), always hoping that there's someone better on the horizon.

The deceptive photos aren't just women either, it's also men (I've heard plenty of similar stories from women). When you take 20 photos and pick out the best one, then apply all sorts of filters to it, it makes you look a lot different than you might look in real life. And not to say it's all about looks, but in my opinion, if someone is going to be deceptive right off the bat, that probably isn't someone I would want to get to know.

It's a strange world we live in these days. I always tell my wife that if something happened to her and I had to start dating again, I'd probably just voluntarily stay single. In reality, though, I'd probably start looking to date again at some point, but I'm not sure I'm certain I'd be in for a real wake-up call.

"social media" usage has already peaked and is now in decline overall, its a fad which will eventually go out of fashion and all these "issues" will be projected onto the next big thing in years to come. in less than a decade social media will be about as dead as disco...

"social media" usage has already peaked and is now in decline overall, its a fad which will eventually go out of fashion and all these "issues" will be projected onto the next big thing in years to come. in less than a decade social media will be about as dead as disco...

I was just thinking that. Many people I know have gotten over it. I think the big FB scandal recently has caused a lot of people to re-think what they post, at least in the older age groups. Folks I know that used to wear out their fingers have changed their settings, changed their profile names or just quit posting altogether. My wife is on FB a lot less than she used to be and rarely posts anything now. I know more than a few people who have closed accounts altogether.
As far as the younger folks, my teen daughters are even using SM a little less than they were. They still text and video chat like crazy with their close friends, but the postings on platforms has declined dramatically. I think they've gotten a little bored with it.

I don't think it will ever go away, but I'd love to see the numbers over that last couple of years.