Soft top options, help me choose

AMS417

"The Ayatollah of rock and rolla"
Supporting Member
Folks,

Looking for a soft top for my 2005 Rubicon due to some close encounters on the trails with the hard top, and the flexibility that comes with a soft top. I have full doors and an OEM hard top right now. I mainly want a soft top for the warmer months, looking at Bestop Trektop NX. Pros / Cons? Any others I should be considering? Also thinking about just a bikini top since I park in a garage and don't DD my TJ.

I run a Besttop bikini almost 100% of the time. It is great with hard doors rain or shine, even very light snow at least once. I am not of fan of the soft tops, once mine was put away it stayed away. Weather is much different here but I park outdoors and that's how it sits all the time.

Folks,

Looking for a soft top for my 2005 Rubicon due to some close encounters on the trails with the hard top, and the flexibility that comes with a soft top. I have full doors and an OEM hard top right now. I mainly want a soft top for the warmer months, looking at Bestop Trektop NX. Pros / Cons? Any others I should be considering? Also thinking about just a bikini top since I park in a garage and don't DD my TJ.
I loved my Trektop NX I had on my Sahara. Large side windows for more visibility and the flip back sunroof feature takes 1 minute to flip open. Great for days when you catch a sudden rain shower. I'll be putting one on my Rubicon when this top wears out.
Jeep s (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Reactions: Apparition
Recently purchased Trektop NX and liking it very much. I prefer the safari to my old bikini top. Very easy to put the windows in when desired.

I have an OEM frame with Bestop replace a top. It works well, but I would still like to buy the Trektop NX because it's frame-less and folds back further than my OEM frame. Though when I have the windows out, my 11yo likes to use the frame as a handle to climb in the back.

The only bad thing I've heard about the NX is that it's a pain in the ass to install the first time. Do it on a hot day and leave it out in the sun for a few hours before you try.

Reactions: Jamison C
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I do not like my (LJ) Trektop. Windows are a pain to put in. Couldn't imagine trying to do it in the rain. No option to roll them up or fold the whole top back. You have to run it Safari style and still haul the windows around with you.
Luckily for me, I only put it on a few times a year for cross country trips.

Last edited:
I do not like my (LJ) Trektop. Windows are a pain to put in. Couldn't imagine trying to do it in the rain. No option to roll them up or fold the whole top back. You have to run it Safari style and still haul the windows around with you. Luckily I only use it a few times a year when I go on cross country trips.
At first my Trektop NX was difficult but after using it frequently it’s quick to remove and install windows. Windows roll in the clover patch.

I’d get another Trektop NX if I needed to replace my top.

Maybe I shouldn't blame the top design for not being convenient to the scenarios I use it in. Probably works just fine for most.
I'll give it a plus for not leaking, but a minus for noise.

Reactions: Apparition
I just couldn't bring myself to dole out serious money for a replacement soft top, so I went with a BesTop Pavement Ends line top with tinted rear windows, which I really like. I don't have the old one around anymore to compare thickness, so I'm not sure how it compares. However, I can't tell any difference in road noise between this "cheaper" top and the OEM soft top.

Are the Trektop Nx tops made of a more durable top material and window material as compared to the aftermarket tops in OEM style, or is the majority of the additional cost all of the hardware that comes with it for install?

Last edited:
So you can pull the Trektop NX back all the way like a factory soft top? Convertible style? Without removing it completely is what I am getting at. Seems like it says you cannot online. The sunrider feature would probably get used the most but having the converabile option would be nice too.

So you can pull the Trektop NX back all the way like a factory soft top? Convertible style? Without removing it completely is what I am getting at. Seems like it says you cannot online. The sunrider feature would probably get used the most but having the converabile option would be nice too.
No, it’s either closed, sunrider open or off

Many run a spiderwebshade under it anyway

Reactions: AMS417
I have a Trektop NX. No real complaints with it. Windows can be tough to get on in the cold but that's expected. I like the look of a regular framed top more, but I liked the slant back more when I bought the Trektop. I run the Trektop fully zipped all winter and then bikini top for the summer.

Its a pretty good top as long as you like the look. That would be the only deciding factor between a supertop and a trektop for me.