Soft top retaining strap

prowler

The soft top on my 2004 TJ is in pretty good shape, but the 2 inch straps that are riveted to the frame bar (one on each side) are tearing away. I think these straps provide tension when the soft top is up, and they definitely assist in raising the top. Any advice on replacements - or what you have done when these straps deteriorate?

Thanks

Do a search real quick, I could swear someone was having the same issue a few weeks back. I'd look in the general or TJ specific forums first. Shouldn't be too far back. Hopefully the thread starter will pop in.

Okay, replying to myself here, but just for 'closure' it looks like a good fix might be to find some tough nylon strapping somewhere, cut it to length, chop off the existing rivets on the bow frame, then use 3 sheet metal screws with washers to re-install.

Last edited:
The strap listed below was the right width (just under an 1/8th" wider) and thickness of the original. I haven't installed it yet, but, I'm quite happy with what I see so far.
The company, I had seen in other posts, but had a tough time rummaging through their product until I came across another post from some time ago with a link.
It's strapworks.com and the product code is: HWP3, Description is: Heavyweight Polypropylene 3 inch. I picked black of course. It was $13.05 to the door for 20 feet. 5 days to the door with their basic shipping.
This bit above is for the next person trying to figure out where and what strap.
I have installed it now. No issues at all. I riveted the strap in place, I used some small washers on the rivets because the heads seemed small, give it a little more bite. I used the old strap as a template to cut the new strap. If it's too damaged you can take the other off and use it as a template. From side to side they just flip as I recall, the cut is the same for both sides. Besides, I bought enough material to make multiple. A new one is already cut for the other side.
I bought a cheap riveter at harbor freight and knocked the old heads off with a chisel. Having never riveted anything before, it was easy. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ - Nice post. Lots of good information. Thank you for that. I'll check out the company you mentioned and probably mirror what you did. Rivets seem like a better option than screws, since there's no worry about vibrating loose.

I'm trying to piece together a top. I bought my TJ a little over a year ago and I could get all the hardware except for these straps. I just bought them and I was wondering what size the rivet is.

I'm trying to piece together a top. I bought my TJ a little over a year ago and I could get all the hardware except for these straps. I just bought them and I was wondering what size the rivet is.

I bought the cheap riveter from Harbor Freight. It came with four sizes. 1/8” is the one that fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need for a riveter. When you replace the channel on the front you drill the rivets out and then put self tapping screws in. I would drill em out put some self tapping screws in place. My next straps will be 550 cord straps. If I can find someone to make them.