Soft top window storage

CRGR

CRGR
Supporting Member
The Woodlands/Galveston TX, United States
So what's the best way to store your bestop trektop nx windows when they're removed? I've seen the 'roll' storage bag but not sure if that would scratch the plastic windows. Would like to keep them with me in case of a shower, etc. Thanks

As far as I knew, there wasn't a roll up storage bag large enough to fit the trektop nx windows. Do you have a link?
I just picked mine up this winter so I haven't yet dealt with mobile storage of the windows. Although I have thought about it a bit. No matter how you swing it, they will take up quite a bit more space than the factory or replacement framed top windows. Definitely one of the downsides of going frameless. As long as you have something soft on either side of the vinyl window as you roll it up I wouldn't worry about scratching them. If you get just windows from bestop, (was sent three replacements as my originals came damaged), the side windows come rolled up around the rigid plastic insert with paper on either side of the window. Rolling the two side windows in this manner, they are about the size of a medium duffel bag. 31"x16"x10" the rear window I was planning on rolling up separately as it will roll somewhat tightly and should store rather easily anywhere.

Last edited:
You could always go the cheap route and use a large beach towel with an adjustable strap or two around them. I've got a trektop nx on my LJ and bestops website says "Except Unlimited; not recommended for use with Trektop NX" in reference to the bag Chris posted :(

I just sent an email to bestop to see if they have come up with a creative solution or have another bag that will work. We will see what they say

As far as I knew, there wasn't a roll up storage bag large enough to fit the trektop nx windows. Do you have a link?
I just picked mine up this winter so I haven't yet dealt with mobile storage of the windows. Although I have thought about it a bit. No matter how you swing it, they will take up quite a bit more space than the factory or replacement framed top windows. Definitely one of the downsides of going frameless. As long as you have something soft on either side of the vinyl window as you roll it up I wouldn't worry about scratching them. If you get just windows from bestop, (was sent three replacements as my originals came damaged), the side windows come rolled up around the rigid plastic insert with paper on either side of the window. Rolling the two side windows in this manner, they are about the size of a medium duffel bag. 31"x16"x10" the rear window I was planning on rolling up separately as it will roll somewhat tightly and should store rather easily anywhere.
Yeah, the side windows have the hard plastic corners so they don't really roll up tightly. I keep it in the garage down at the beach with the windows and doors off. I actually have the window panels hanging in a closet on clothes hangers ( with the clip for pants or whatever) holding them suspended (totally anal I know!) so they don't wrinkle or crease. Thing is trying to figure out best way to take the windows with me when I need to.

Yeah, the side windows have the hard plastic corners so they don't really roll up tightly. I keep it in the garage down at the beach with the windows and doors off. I actually have the window panels hanging in a closet on clothes hangers ( with the clip for pants or whatever) holding them suspended (totally anal I know!) so they don't wrinkle or crease. Thing is trying to figure out best way to take the windows with me when I need to.
I have heard of people removing the hard plastic in the corners and then they will roll up tighter, but I haven't tried that myself. That's pretty much how I plan to hang them in the garage come summer time

The hardtop hoist I built for the garage has a shelf under it to spread the load during the summer. Since I built an entire shelf for the hardtop, during winter I can use it to lay my windows flat without rolling. It wouldn't bother me at all to roll them in the warmer months but cold weather is hell on vinyl windows. I also remove the plastic corners to ensure the panels lay as flat as possible.
IMG_6140.JPG IMG_1138.JPG

Reactions: CRGR
The hardtop hoist I built for the garage has a shelf under it to spread the load during the summer. Since I built an entire shelf for the hardtop, during winter I can use it to lay my windows flat without rolling. It wouldn't bother me at all to roll them in the warmer months but cold weather is hell on vinyl windows. I also remove the plastic corners to ensure the panels lay as flat as possible.
View attachment 10470 View attachment 10471
That's handy to keep them out of the way in the garage. Nice and safe up there!

View attachment 10470 View attachment 10471
Very nice. I like that it keeps it up high out of the way. Great idea on the shelf too

Bestop returned my email. No clever storage options, just the old standard, but figured I'd share anyway.

Hello Grant,

Thank you for contacting us. The Trextop NX windows will not fit our storage bags. What we recommend is to use soft cloths or soft towels. Lay one down put a window on it, then lay a second cloth or towel on top, lay another window and a cloth or towel on that. Once you have all your windows in between the cloths or towels you can roll them up. Make sure that the windows are not touching each other.

Reactions: FF_Jeep
Bestop returned my email. No clever storage options, just the old standard, but figured I'd share anyway.

Hello Grant,

Thank you for contacting us. The Trextop NX windows will not fit our storage bags. What we recommend is to use soft cloths or soft towels. Lay one down put a window on it, then lay a second cloth or towel on top, lay another window and a cloth or towel on that. Once you have all your windows in between the cloths or towels you can roll them up. Make sure that the windows are not touching each other.
Tha5s what I figured. Hey - saved me some $$ from buying the roll storage! Thanks

I found another option is a large sheet. You can lay a window on it, fold it over that, do the next one, etc. Saves trying to keep track of several towels or cloth pieces. I did that for many years before buying the Bestop storage roll. I would roll up the windows in the sheet and store them in a home made storage case cut out of:
e7c4d4f0-c6c5-416e-8685-2b900e964dd9_1000.jpg

Cardboard concrete form. The ends were cut from plastic 5 gal. buckets, one end glued on. Worked for years, still have it.

Reactions: CRGR
When on the trail, I used their instructions using a couple of beach towels instead. I then roll them up and store them in a bag used to carry a folding chair in. For a longer term storage I mounted a couple of rails (actually 3) on my garage wall so that the windows hang flat by the channel tabs. This way they remain flat and are stored out of the way and will not have any roll memory when I reinstall them.

I had bought and use the Best Top roll up storage case. Works well during the warmer months and store it flat during the winter. I just recently made a shelf during my ceiling rafters in basement and store in flat up there.
82c488b1f0d6f3cb12cd7d53bd4d7509.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk