Looking for opinions and experiences with different soft tops

papasjeep

Just needing people's experience and opinions with soft tops .
Either framed or frameless,
Likes or dislikes.

Mostly which ones are the most leak proof or leak free.

I currently have a soft topper brand frameless top. It's only good for a safari type top. I don't even think they make this for TJ's anymore.

No matter what I do It leaks. It just doesn't fit to well.
I have to believe it's because I do not have the factory original door surrounds.
Top is 2.5 years old.

Thanks

Bestop soft tops are the only soft top recommended. Bestop are the OEM manufacture of Jeep soft tops. Any other brand soft top has NOTHING compared to a bestop. With that being said you can buy a soft top with a frame or frameless. Personally I prefer frame over frameless. Reason being is it’s easier to go fully topless, the soft top would just store folded down. You would only find a place for the windows not the whole top. With a frameless you’ll have to find a storage for the whole top. I also find it easier to put the windows back on a soft top with a frame.

Reactions: AndyG and papasjeep
When I bought my TJ in 2018 I was told it was new. It sure looked like that and I figured it was true. About a month later I found out it was from 2011. I'm not sure how it looks so good but it is a BesTop and I've had no real problems beyond BesTop sending me a new frame part as if it was under warranty.

When I bought my TJ in 2018 I was told it was new. It sure looked like that and I figured it was true. About a month later I found out it was from 2011. I'm not sure how it looks so good but it is a BesTop and I've had no real problems beyond BesTop sending me a new frame part as if it was under warranty.
Did you buy the top from Bestop or someone selling one?

The BesTop came on the TJ that I bought from a used car dealer that I'd rate at about 75%.

What did you provide Bestop with for the warranty? A part number in the soft top? I bought a used Bestop soft top it was still in the box and everything but now the rear window stitching has come undone. How do I know if the top has warranty?

I didn't know about the warranty and still don't. BesTop never once asked about where, when or how I got the top. They never even asked for a credit card number. They just asked for my name and address.

On mine one of the straps from the center bow to the rear bow wasn't connected to the rear bow and was too short. At that point I figured the top was new but the frame wasn't. All I did was call to get replacement straps but ended up with a new center bow with the straps attached.

If LJ then NX

C6EF5404-D075-47A9-A6B3-61C85FE9611F.jpeg

I didn't know about the warranty and still don't. BesTop never once asked about where, when or how I got the top. They never even asked for a credit card number. They just asked for my name and address.

On mine one of the straps from the center bow to the rear bow wasn't connected to the rear bow and was too short. At that point I figured the top was new but the frame wasn't. All I did was call to get replacement straps but ended up with a new center bow with the straps attached.

I’m going to have to contact them. Maybe they can send replacement windows. Hopefully for free or discount would help to. Thanks !

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ

I just contacted Bestop they asked me for a receipt which I don’t have. Bummer.

I put a Bestop Trektop NX frameless on last year, I'm really happy with it. I like the no-frame part of it where I can just remove the 3 windows and have a completely open bikini top. So far no leaks, great fit - definitely worth it to me.

I put a Bestop Trektop NX frameless on last year, I'm really happy with it. I like the no-frame part of it where I can just remove the 3 windows and have a completely open bikini top. So far no leaks, great fit - definitely worth it to me.
If I want to take the windows with, the windows roll up nicely in a clover patch bag.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/91109_100_07.htm

x2 here on the bikini top. I got the Bestop Trektop NX frameless in June. Here in Western Washington it has not stopped raining since Sept and no leaks.

2jeep.jpg

Reactions: WesRJ86 and qslim
x2 here on the bikini top. I got the Bestop Trektop NX frameless in June. Here in Western Washington it has not stopped raining since Sept and no leaks.

View attachment 141545

Yeah I'm a big fan so far. I was doing the whole bikini top/hardtop thing... So far I haven't missed my hardtop one bit. Think I'm going to sell it. Now when it warms up I can just unzip the windows & go... If it rains I can just zip em back on.

One of the guys on here (I forget who) had the idea of putting one of those spider shades under the soft top, then when he removes the windows he just flips the sunrider open, lays the windows flat on the shade and closes the top. I'm going to give that a shot this summer.

Reactions: SteveBarrus
@qslim & @SteveBarrus, which material did yall get your trektop in? Twill, black diamond, or black denim?

Didn't get the twill. Got mine in spice or tan or whatever you call it, whatever the cheaper one was. My TJ isn't a daily driver so I wasn't too concerned with getting something like the twill for heat or sound insulation. Personally I don't expect my TJ to ride like my truck or my wife's SUV, so a little wind noise is alright by me - personal preference. If I had to drive it every day I might change my tune.

Reactions: WesRJ86